New Regulator free flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark99

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just purchased a new safe second regulator, attached it to the first stage low pressure port, turned on the tank, and heard a little air leak from the mouthpiece. It would breathe OK. I turned off the tank, purged, and when I turned the tank on again, complete free flow. The question: Is there any case where in a new reg this could come from mis-adjustment, or is there a serious problem. BTW I am returning the item, so this is basically an academic question. Thanks.

The rubber low pressure seat regulator 2nd stage that is perfectly tuned when it leaves the factory can take a set while sitting waiting to be sold, and this will loosen the tune. For this reason, a good shop always will do a quick "touch up" tuning when they sell a regulator.
Also, since variations in intermediate pressure exist between 1sts, and can effect the tune of the 2nd, a 2nd stage really ought to be tuned to suit the 1st it is going to be used on - this is just part of the job of mating a 1st with a new 2nd and, once again, something any decend shop ought to do as part of the sale.

So there may be nothing wrong with it at all.

mark99:
I just purchased a new safe second regulator, attached it to the first stage low pressure port, turned on the tank, and heard a little air leak from the mouthpiece. It would breathe OK. I turned off the tank, purged, and when I turned the tank on again, complete free flow. The question: Is there any case where in a new reg this could come from mis-adjustment, or is there a serious problem. BTW I am returning the item, so this is basically an academic question. Thanks.

This sounds like one of the new problems that can occur because of the online sales market.

No professional ever gets the opportunity to hook up and check out the new combination. As Vance said it's likely there is nothing wrong, just a slight adjustment required. Or it could be the previously owned first stage that's over pressurizing and causing the new second stage to leak.

Solutions?

1. Pay for a return with freight costs, and loss of use.

2. Have a local professional take a look and fix it for a reasonable fee, or at least tell you where the problem lies.

Chad

Solution #3: Adjust it!!

Don't know how? You can ask on this board or you can DIR by starting with the link in Oxyhacker's signature. It's not at all difficult.

Back
Top Bottom