New Regional Club name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, Spyhoppers.....At long last we have worked out the details of just where you guys should be in the forum list and we need a name for ya. It needs to be descriptive of your geographical location.

Going by this poll, we've come up with BC Spyhoppers or Sunshine Coast Spyhoppers. Which do you prefer or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks for getting this organized Dee.

I believe the original entry was Southern BC Spyhoppers. Not by coincidence, it happens to be the name I like the most. :wink:

What is a SpyHopper? and how does it relate to scuba?

Maybe just Southern BC Divers? or Southern BC Dive Club?

Or perhaps i'm not understanding somethnig here?

Rimp:
What is a SpyHopper? and how does it relate to scuba?

Maybe just Southern BC Divers? or Southern BC Dive Club?

Or perhaps i'm not understanding somethnig here?
To find the answers to all your questions, you need to read this thread - all 27 pages.

Just kidding. Spyhopping is what it's called when orca whales look around above the surface of the water.

"Sunshine Coast" refers to a specific area of BC -- I'd suggest *not* using that one.

And "Southern" tends to exclude about 3/4s of the geography of BC...

So, I'd say go with "BC Spyhoppers"

:)

I 2nd

KrisB:
"Sunshine Coast" refers to a specific area of BC -- I'd suggest *not* using that one.

And "Southern" tends to exclude about 3/4s of the geography of BC...

So, I'd say go with "BC Spyhoppers"

:)

Dee,

Can't thank you enough for picking this up again! Thought the idea was lost forever, so thanks, we definately appreciate it!

I believe the name ideas have been more than hashed out. In fact they've been discussed endlessly and voted on. Those who voted, voted for Spyhoppers and so I believe we should stick with that. No need to start from scratch.

As far as location goes, I think we should go with Southern BC Spyhoppers. All the reasons for going with Southern BC have been discussed in the previous threads on this topic, but to sum it up, Southern BC is good because it includes the Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island. I'm not concerned about ruling out Northern BC because while they could of course participate in this group, they aren't really part of our core group. Remember too, that the original idea was Greater Vancouver Area divers and has been expanded so that Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast and anywhere we might go diving in a day would be included. We have a large group of divers in the lower mainland and Vancouver Island and we are disconnected from the northern part of the province in this respect. My primary goal in starting a separate group for us on Scubaboard was to create a way for people in this area to go diving and discuss local issues.

Andrea

Andrea....you know the area and the divers wishes better than I so Southern BC Spyhoppers it is!

The new forum will be a sub-forum to this one. The tree looks like this....

ScubaBoard.Com > Regional Travel & Dive Clubs > North America > Canada > Western Canada > Southern BC Spyhoppers

Congrats and enjoy!

Dee:
Andrea....you know the area and the divers wishes better than I so Southern BC Spyhoppers it is!

The new forum will be a sub-forum to this one. The tree looks like this....

ScubaBoard.Com > Regional Travel & Dive Clubs > North America > Canada > Western Canada > Southern BC Spyhoppers

Congrats and enjoy!

Thanks Dee, You're AMAZING!!! :)

I just wanted to add my support to the new forum.

I hope that divers on the Island and Sunshine Coast realize that the area of discussion includes more than just Vancouver. It's the Island and Sunshine Coast that have the best diving in our area in my opinion.

I agree with the "southern" part to the name but my idea of south is anywhere south of and including Port Hardy.

The original "Western Canada" forum spot served the purpose of allowing a place for dicussions within our dive area but it is nice to have a place in cyberspace dedicated exclusiviely to divers who love to dive in the southern coastal waters of B.C.

You don't have to live here to be a part of this group. You only have to love diving here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom