New Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Skipper

Reaction score
Hi,
What Reg?
I bet you get asked this stuff all the time.. I have not been diving very long (36 dives) but intend on a busy year in 2005.... I had a 2nd hand Apeks ATX 50 that some twonk dropped a cylindar on and now its no more.
I would go straight for a replacement Apeks cus I had no problems with it, but I have been offered a really good offer for a Mares Proton Ice with Octopus (1st stage v32) for only £250 from a friend (only used twice).

I do a mix of dives - Tropical dives (important to have light kit as airlines can be a nightmare) and local cold dives, and this year I am looking at a couple of ice dives. I was wondering if the Mares reg is up to the challange and worth the bucks.. Or do I take the plunge and get a new Apeks. I dont do any technical dives or anything beyond fun so could get away with a less serious reg, any advise would be great.

Matt -
A dive a day keeps my misses happy

Uh oh...

I can tell you right now that everybody on this forum is gonna tell you to go with another Apeks. And one of the upmarket ones at that. :D

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
Uh oh...

I can tell you right now that everybody on this forum is gonna tell you to go with another Apeks. And one of the upmarket ones at that. :D

definitely go with the Apeks. I use an ATX200 but older models such as the TX100 is great.

Both are excellent regs. Both will be able to handle the kind of diving you've mentioned very well and will please you.
It comes down to personal preference, serviceability and the cost of it. I would think that it would be easier to service a Mares abroad rather than an Apeks, should something happen in the tropics.
Why wouldn't you take the regs for a dive and see whether you like how they breath? :wink:

Thanks for the feedback..
I will take all of your advise but as much as I want to get a nice shiney new Apeks, I will keep an open mind and trial the Mares Proton Ice Reg in a couple of weeks (Should be really cold in a lake in the UK then).

My buddie has an Apex ATX100 so it will be a good comparison. (Can I be seen alive with a chrome and pale blue reg though)... I will post my findings on this forum.

I will probably get another Apeks anyway but let see how it goes - Good point from Aquaoren because last time in Thailand diving and I had to get my Apeks serviced I had a nightmare finding anywhere to do so, in the end I ended up hiring a Scubapro reg..
Thanks again :)

Moogyboy:
Uh oh...

cheers

Billy S.
Unfortunately he may be right to an extent. The members will tell you apeks except for the guys that dive Mares. They will tell you Mares. Unfortunately in most cases neither has eperienced the other. I don't think that you would be as happy with the Mares as you were with the Apeks. The whole thing can't be broken. Just replace the entire second stage or whatever else broke.....

rescuediver009:
Unfortunately he may be right to an extent. The members will tell you apeks except for the guys that dive Mares. They will tell you Mares. Unfortunately in most cases neither has eperienced the other. I don't think that you would be as happy with the Mares as you were with the Apeks. The whole thing can't be broken. Just replace the entire second stage or whatever else broke.....

Yeah most people always think what they have is the best - thats kind of healthy to an extent... But I am a firm beliver that you should not make judgment unless you have reason.

Well the mouth piece is completly smashed up, the 1st stage is not in great condition anyway (was a hand down) and now being a bit more serious I think its worth me investing in a new one as I dont want to risk failure (as unlikely it is) and it will certainly get its use. I think I will take your advise and get a replacement mouth piece then I have a spare setup. Apeks must be good if they are that popular in the US I thought they were mostly used by us loyal Brits..
Cheers
Matt

Or the people who dive Atomic, will recommend Atomic. The Aqua Lung guys will recommend Aqua Lung, the Zeagle people will recommend............ :wink:
It's only natural. The same old discussion what is better BMW or Mercedes Benz. Or for North America: Chevy or Ford.
Apeks are increasingly popular all over the world not only because they make good regs nowdays or that since the takeover by Aqua Lung, they are being more aggressivly marketed. IMO, the increased popularity of GUE and DIR and the hype about Tech Gear has a lot to do with the increased popularity as well :wink:

The Skipper:
Yeah most people always think what they have is the best - thats kind of healthy to an extent... But I am a firm beliver that you should not make judgment unless you have reason.
Goo philosophy, if only more people followed it.

Apeks must be good if they are that popular in the US I thought they were mostly used by us loyal Brits..
Cheers
Matt
Yeah great stuff. I think that because the canadian waters are very similar to those of britain's, they have gained popularity. Also they last a long time and are very rugged and reliable for alot less money than others. About the second stage, just a thought. If you take it to a tech and have it looked at for leaks it should be fine, but it will also make a good pony reg with and ATX40.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom