New reef for Gulf Shores/Orange Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom wicker

Contributor
Reaction score
The Gulf State park demolition is scheduled to start, The rubble from the concrete buildings are then to be floated out for a new artificial reef according to news releases. With this much rubble it should make for a rather large underwater structure I would think. Has anyone heard of the area yet where it is to be dropped?

It sure would be nice if our councils would take into consideration of what a ship something similar to the Mighty O could do for our dive economy around here. We have plenty enough artificial rock piles what we need is some wreaks!! :D

Thanks for posting this :) Shouldn't take long for this stuff to get some life on it.

It'd be cool if they tossed some of it just off the beach, like the Pensacola Beach Reef - but I doubt they'll do that due to all the boat traffic along the shoreline.

Our boat traffic I don’t believe is no more congested then that of Pensacola or others along the upper Gulf Coast. It would be nice indeed to see a small reef made just outside the second Sandbar as long as they keep it away from the mouth of Mobile bay so the viz would be decent.

I wonder if a person or two would email the city council suggesting such a reef if it would have any weight on a decision? I would lay money on it if they thought they could figure a way to charge the divers for it’s use they would break their necks in doing it

Check out http://www.ships2reefs.com and get some folks down there together and start a grand effort to get yourself some ships to sink. There are some significant matching funds involved though.

tom wicker:
Our boat traffic I don’t believe is no more congested then that of Pensacola or others along the upper Gulf Coast.

I think more people are inclined to transit from Mobile Bay to Perdido Pass and Pensacola Pass in smaller boats closer to shore compared to East of Pensacola Pass. The Pensacola Beach Reef has the protection of the Pensacola Beach Pier which I don't believe they allow boaters to get too close due to fishing and it being the main public swimming beach area.

While we have a pier, its pretty much destroyed and it attracts more boats now that they are allowed to fish it close. There really isn't a safe area on the Alabama Gulf Coast. I can't tell you how many times we've had boats ride over us on some of the shore wrecks - despite dive flag.

Thanks Mike for contributing the link Please forgive the rambling of a middle age dreamer,

Matt I do understand your dilemma on shore traffic, sometimes I do believe the flag causes more harm than protection during the summer season with the younger crowd playing with daddies toys along the beach. This is one of the very reasons I shy away from beach dives.

It would seem that an area along the State beach just beyond the second Sandbar would be a nice place. It wouldn’t take much effort to place a few Atons marking it. Water level is in the twentyish lets say a five or six foot structure would still leave room for any recreational boat to pass safely over it. The only problems that I can see would be the guys pulling a net.

Speaking of structures did you leave any flounder on the Whiskey? Me and Shane was thinking about hitting it tomorrow afternoon. How is the shore viz?

There's plenty left :) Need to get em while the water's warm though - pretty soon they will have moved out until April-ish.

There was high surf earlier this week, 5-7', maybe better and it took all week for it to subside. Today it was flat and it should be the same way tomorrow. I haven't dived the Gulf in a week in a half because of the surf, but looking at the webcam earlier today - the water definately looked like a decent shade of blue-ish. Without actually being in the water, its hard to tell though...

I have a thread in the Trips-n-Happenings subforum fishing around for buddies for tomorrow and/or Monday and Tuesday afternoons. Mind if I tag along if you guys go? Give me a call a few hours before you go, if its not a problem 251-978-4089

SuPrBuGmAn:
There's plenty left :) Need to get em while the water's warm though - pretty soon they will have moved out until April-ish.

There was high surf earlier this week, 5-7', maybe better and it took all week for it to subside. Today it was flat and it should be the same way tomorrow. I haven't dived the Gulf in a week in a half because of the surf, but looking at the webcam earlier today - the water definately looked like a decent shade of blue-ish. Without actually being in the water, its hard to tell though...

I have a thread in the Trips-n-Happenings subforum fishing around for buddies for tomorrow and/or Monday and Tuesday afternoons. Mind if I tag along if you guys go? Give me a call a few hours before you go, if its not a problem 251-978-4089

You should know your more then welcome to join us. Shane is a new diver I’m working with so far he has showed the makings of a responsible diver we haven’t had any problems yet other than his air use that boy has a set of lungs in him30min a tank but getting better. If you still interested I’ll give you a call afternoon tomorrow. I’m trying to get him ready to drop off a boat with me. Mine just sits in the yard collecting leaves :shakehead

Still interested - its fun diving with newer divers, I like to point life out to them that they might normally miss :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
Still interested - its fun diving with newer divers, I like to point life out to them that they might normally miss :D

:D cool I'll give you a call before hand

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom