New RB diver hates it - should I keep diving it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landfish:
lack of bail out?????? i see things can be obviously read wrong or missed the options that i dive with
Nope, your config is pretty much well described and independently critiqued on the other forum.
landfish:
i was posting that just to show him that it can be used beyond the recreational limits that is all.
Sure, but not once did he ask for that information. In fact, all he wants to do is feel comfortable with the unit - any unit, I guess - on shallow dives first.

As for the info you provide, please remember it's highly controversial - it is for example against contemporary Dräger guidelines - and that this is a forum read by the many, only a minority it seems whom actually have RB training/certification, whether SCR or CCR. Not everyone is capable of discerning nuances, or understanding the thinking that must go into their choices, and they may well end up with just a feeling of, "great, I can use this thingie beyond recreational depths, off we go". There was one death like that, on your unit, last year (though not necessarily in itself due to diving beyond recreational depths on the Dräger and it had nothing to do with the unit itself).

We have a duty, I feel, to be more critical of what we write - and read - in the rebreather field. Particularly on a U.S. forum, where misapprehension and often, downright misinformation is so rife. So, it's not personal, landfish, and don't take it as such.

fins wake
you know i never thought of what you just wrote above i did the stupid thing of assuming anyone that was interested in the rebreather had the training and owned one or dove one allready i didnt think of the on lookers who never have tried a unit and see something like that and take it worng.you have brought out a very good point and i have to remember this isnt a private board but a public board.
like i have said on another board in now way did i mean that it was no big deal to dive the dreager the way i do.going in the water for 5 mins to 20 feet is a big deal so i am very very sorry to anyone that took it that way.
thanks for pointing that out

Landfish, that's a very gracious reply and marks you out as a reflective gentleman. Don't worry, we've all made the same minor errors when excuberant about the sport we love. It's easy. :wink:

Scuba_Bree:
I guess the reason I want to dive a RB is the same as everyone's - it's something different, to experience new things, to get closer to marine life without scaring them off with bubbles...

Obviously a SCR won't allow me to go deeper/stay longer/save on gas, but they're not important to me at this stage in my diving. I don't think I'm diving the Dolphin "for the wrong reasons", I'm certainly not forcing myself to dive it to "save face" or anything like that. And since I don't feel at ease on it, I haven't dived it since the course, so I'm not doing anything daft.

I don't know about y'all, but when I did my OW training I certainly wouldn't have felt at ease being at 180', but now it's a piece of cake. I'm thinking it's similar for RB's - it's new, and it'll take a bit of getting used to. I know the first time I had to flood my mask in my OW course I freaked, now having it kicked off my face or ripped off in training dives is a mere annoyance. That proves to me that it is possible to train myself to feel more comfortable with things which used to worry me.

For those who told me I am "an accident waiting to happen", that was pretty unconstructive... just because I may feel uncomfortable does not automatically mean I'm a candidate for a Darwin award.

I appreciate all the views expressed so far, and if anyone else has some ideas for how to get more comfortable I'd appreciate hearing them. I'm going to take things really slowly, and if in a month's time I'm still not "there", I'll re-evaluate how important it is to me to beat this thing.

ScubaBree,

I am both an IANTD Instructor Trainer and an Inspiration Instructor, and I mention this only to indicate what my focus is for the comments I would like to offer, if I may?

(1) In regard to your reasons for wanting to dive an RB, I note that you are a fairly experienced OC diver, judging only by your cert list. Your reasons, as given, for wanting to dive an RB are valid and good. "New experiences" are pretty much the central reasons that we ALL dive! Getting friendly with fish and turtles is another major reason! Yes folks, it is true. Fish ARE friendlier when you are diving an RB!!!!

(2) As to feeling at ease on any rebreather, the simple truth is that rebreather diving IS very different from open circuit diving. Even if you are very experienced at OC diving, it WILL feel very different. If this does not make you feel at least a little uneasy, then you are not paying attention. The true experts at RB diving, (and here I refer to such men as Richard Pyle, Tom Mount, Joe Radomski, etc.) tell us that if you start to treat RB diving as casually as some do OC diving, then TRULY you ARE an accident about to happen.

(3) As you have noted, good training, practice, and a steady growth in your experience level are all elements in obtaining a well-deserved feeling of comfort in what you are doing.

(4) The problems that can occur with rebreathers can be very subtle. If you do not train yourself to be vigilant, to watch for and know the signs and symptoms, it can be a very gentle way to die. I would like to think that those who made the comments you refer to were trying to keep you alive. It's just that their message was, perhaps, stated a bit too harshly.

(5) Most of the populace has not, fortunately for them, had much experience with death in its rawest form. Others, such as EMT's, police officers, ER Docs, military folks, and firemen, for instance, have all too much experience with it.

As someone who is also a DMT and police officer, and who has been in combat in the military, I can tell you that it will affect you, but you find ways to deal with it and go on. (If it does not affect you at all, then you are one scary psychopathic scumbag, and we do not need you on our team!) The after-event counselling referred to by others in this thread has turned out to be a good way for those involved in such situations to "vent" in an accepted manner, and then get their caca in one pile, and go on with the mission with a clear head and proper focus.

(6) If, due to your particular circumstances, you feel extremely uncomfortable diving an RB, give it a rest for a while, go back to straight OC diving and enjoy yourself. This is not a race! This is supposed to be a sport you do because you enjoy it. Give yourself some time to get some emotional distance, and then go back to your SCR unit when YOU feel ready. As Fin's Wake correctly pointed, these units are tools to do a job, not cultural icons.

As Mr. Natural used to say: "Get the right tool for the job, kids!" Enjoy yourself! Dive safely, and live to enjoy your diving for a long, long time!

BJD :anakinpod

Thanks everyone for all your replies.
Just a follow-up on my situation for those who are interested.
I got back into the pool with it one night a couple of weeks ago, and felt perfectly fine in it, no worries whatsoever.
Last weekend went with a buddy to a local training site, shallow, familiar etc, and did a 1/2 hour dive, slowly getting down to 30'. Felt fine. Did a couple of drills, screwed them up, and bailed to the surface 'coz it all felt wrong again. I couldn't get out of it fast enough, and ended up ditching it on the surface and swimming back to shore dragging it behind me like a tired diver tow, I just felt that uncomfortable in it. Damn thing!
Stubborn me wanted to try again and see if I could just do one dive and enjoy it. I'd done one enjoyable dive on my course, and thought if I could get that mindset back I'd be sweet... so yesterday, I went back with my buddy to the same site, to do just a normal dive with no skills and no pressure, and I still didn't enjoy it. Was nervy and unsure about it all the whole time. Don't think I took my eyes off my P02 monitor the whole dive!
So, to that end, I've decided that RB diving just isn't for me. Whether that's a "for ever" choice, or a "for the moment" choice, I haven't decided yet. Maybe in a few years I'll try something else. But today I returned the Dolphin to its owner, who was really surprised, and I felt like an idiot and a bit inferior, but I know I've done the right thing.
As far as my other demons are concerned, I'll work through those at my own pace.
Thanks everyone for the support and understanding, I really appreciate it.

Good choice, enjoyment is why we all dive. You are not alone a know plenty of people who just could not get comfy on breathers. Just go OC and enjoy the dives, thats what its all about...

BigJetDriver69:
ScubaBree,

(6) If, due to your particular circumstances, you feel extremely uncomfortable diving an RB, give it a rest for a while, go back to straight OC diving and enjoy yourself. This is not a race! This is supposed to be a sport you do because you enjoy it. Give yourself some time to get some emotional distance, and then go back to your SCR unit when YOU feel ready. As Fin's Wake correctly pointed, these units are tools to do a job, not cultural icons.

As Mr. Natural used to say: "Get the right tool for the job, kids!" Enjoy yourself! Dive safely, and live to enjoy your diving for a long, long time!

BJD :anakinpod

ScubaBree,

I'm glad that my message, and that of others here, was of some help to you.

I included the quote above because of your comment in your last message:

"Today I returned the Dolphin to its owner, who was really surprised, and I felt like an idiot and a bit inferior, but I know I've done the right thing."

You should NOT "feel like and idiot", you should feel good that you made the right decision, for you.

You should NOT "feel a bit inferior"! You were involved in a situation that made a significant psychological impact upon you, and affected your internal confidence level regarding the rebreather.

A rebreather is NOT a cultural icon, nor a badge of "superiority"! It is simply a tool.

Be safe, and enjoy a lot of diving in your life!

BJD

ScubaBree,

Comfort is everything, diving a RB with a chattering monkey on your back is no fun. You made a smart decision and as BJD says you have nothing to feel like an idiot or inferior about, quite the contrary!
Dive safe and enjoy yourself.

Chris

TechBlue:
ScubaBree,

Comfort is everything, diving a RB with a chattering monkey on your back is no fun. You made a smart decision and as BJD says you have nothing to feel like an idiot or inferior about, quite the contrary!
Dive safe and enjoy yourself.

Chris

Ahhhh! I think I know what the problem is now ... did you try the rebreather without the chattering monkey?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom