New purchase issue...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDan85

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok so I have been looking around LDS nd online nd found new reg set I want. I found online for around 600 less then at LDS went in talked to em to see what we could do bc obviously rather support local.. But stated that cant much touch it for that price.. but made comment of well if something went wrong would have to send back to where I purchase.. as a dealer wouldnt they be required to work on as well? OR is that just stating if you dont buy here we wont service it?
Obviously i want to save money so i can get other newer gear.. but i dont have much options for LDS in area.. They currently seeing what they can do to get the price closer.. granted this is a sale price as of right now nd could go back to there normal price...

If I was you go for the savings, you could always send regs. to be serviced to online sites such as Dive Right in Scuba, Dive Gear Express or Scubatoys, they all do a great job on servicing. That is why so many LDS are going out of business, in these times about 75% of equipment sales by divers are made online, for the way for LDS to make money they should service anything that comes in door and promote training and trips..

$600 less, new, something seems fishy. You can certainly get great deals online, but that's a MAJOR price difference on a set of regs. I'd be very cautious.

That being said, as mentioned, DRIS, DGX, etc. will service whatever you send in. Really the only issue would be warranty service since you bought it from a potentially gray market source. However, with a set of regs, unless something is ridiculously wrong with the product from the get go, say actual milling of the 1st stage or major issues with the non-service kit parts, a service will take care of whatever issues you're having.

. . . but made comment of well if something went wrong would have to send back to where I purchase.. as a dealer wouldnt they be required to work on as well? OR is that just stating if you dont buy here we wont service it?
It depends. If you buy it from one authorized retailer, and take it to another authorized retailer for service, they would be foolish to refuse to provide service. if they were to do so, you should contact the manufacturer / distributor to report the situation.

Having said that, there is also a history of some (not all, not necessarily many) online retailers selling 'grey market' products, at absurdly low / discounted prices. In those cases, the online retailer was not an authorized dealer, no warranty or post-purchase support was associated with the transaction, and the buyer got what was possibly a great purchase price, but very indifferent after-sale support.

In your case, a $600 difference, between a local retailer price for a regulator set, and the online price from an authorized retailer seems quite high. It would be worth confirming that the online vendor is, indeed, an authorized retailer for the product. And, that the product you are considering is not a discontinued model whereas what your LDS is quoting on is a current model. If a reg was purchased elsewhere from an authorized online retailer, your LDS might be tastefully slow in 'getting around to it'. But, manufacturers generally expect their authorized retailers to actively participate in their dealer network. That is often one of the selling points of a particular brand.

Last edited:
I will also say that I have never, ever, had something go wrong with a regulator. I just send mine in every few years for service and they are good to go. Assuming you take care of your equipment, the chances of it breaking is slim.

well like I said the reg set is on sale there normal price is same just can't see how they have such a sale on it.

so there are a few things going on. One is that the pricing structures for dive shops is tiered, the more you sell, the cheaper you buy. Stores like Dive Right in Scuba, Cave Adventurers, Dive Gear Express, etc have massive buying power and as such get the best pricing, so it is quite possible that the deal you have found is actually below their dealer cost from the manufacturer.

Regarding service, they are not bound to service any equipment, or do any warranty work. If they refuse, it means they are not the kind of shop that is there to help you, but one that is there to make money off of you. It sucks, but is what it is. I choose to purchase regulators that I can service myself, and send direct to the MFG or go through dealers that are easy to work with on any warranty issues. These days, the easiest answer is Dive Rite and purchase through Cave Adventurers. Both companies have phenomenal customer service should something go wrong, and the regulators are very nice.

If you choose not to service yourself, there are companies that service regs for people all over the globe. Cave Adventurers services Dive Rite, Hollis, and Hog, and will soon do Deep6 as soon as they are released. Air Tech Scuba Services in Raleigh is my preferred for every other brand, all they do is service equipment, and they do it well. Dive Right in Scuba is quite good as well, and I'm sure DGX and Scubatoys are as well but I have no experience with them

Stores like Dive Right in Scuba, Cave Adventurers, Dive Gear Express, etc have massive buying power and as such get the best pricing, so it is quite possible that the deal you have found is actually below their dealer cost from the manufacturer.

well that basically answers my question then...

Any LDS that even implied I wouldn't be able to service my regs with them unless they were bought from them would never get another dime of my money. For me that would answer the question of whether to buy there or not, for the regs or anything else. Plain and simple.

not so sure about the servicing part.. we shall see tho I reckon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom