New pictures from Koh Tao, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice pics. You look like you got pretty close to the whale shark. Quite amazing animals - I hope I'm lucky enough to see one some time... looks like Koh Tao is another destination to add to the list.

Thanks for the kind words.
I am not sure if the Inon WAL is worth the extra expense. It has about 3 degree more coverage but the edge of the pictures are going to be distorted anyway. I don't really have much experience with WAL (actually none whatsoever). Without 2nd strobe, I don't think the slightly wider coverage will be that significant ( I hope).

Noodlefish, how about this pic for being close to the whale shark.
We were told not to touch the shark by the dive operators and most people complied with the request. A few times I had to duck out the way in a hurry. I definitely plan to go back there again in a few months.

Wow. Do you "feel" the shark as it passes? Is there a sort of 'bow-wave' effect? You must have been inches away!

I have never seen one, but was amazed at the lack of water that seemed to be displaced by the manta rays I saw in the Maldives as they leisurely wafted their wings (admittedly only 14 feet across, but still large enough for me!).

I did not feel any wake as the shark swim by. It is relatively easy to swim along the side, over or under, just don't fall directly behind the tail because you are going to use up a lot of air trying to catch up with the shark. The sharks at Koh Tao are relatively small for whalesharks, I believe. The largest of the three was just under 7 meters, the smallest is probably somewhere between 4-5 m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom