New PADI Texas Waterways Spec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was in my lds the other day and heard tell of a new and upcoming PADI specialty card program called something close to Texas Waterways or Lakes, in which you have to have doc. 5 diff. Texas lakes or rivers you have dove in. My lds is in the process of gathering the final info. for the new specialty,,,,sounds like a good one for sure. Anyone have info. on this?

What's the purpose of it? Other than to collect the plastic and line PADI's pocket? Are there any skills taught that you don't already have? I can't imagine what they would be.

Dee:
What's the purpose of it? Other than to collect the plastic and line PADI's pocket? Are there any skills taught that you don't already have? I can't imagine what they would be.

How 'bout gator wrestling?...LOL. I'm with you, Dee...sounds like someone is yankin' his chain, or PADI has come up with another way to get people's money...a card with your homestate on it.

Dee:

Dee,,, you have some good points in your statement. I think the major benifit of a TEXAS specialty is just that....it shows that Texas has some good diving,and we all know that Texas has great divers. I am not sure about any skills being learned in the course of earning the spec.,,,,but it may motivate a few to get out and dive local lakes/rivers/ponds/SWAMPS! I guess PADI will make a buck, but they are at this point a driving force in our hobby/sport worldwide and I don't see that as so bad. My first certf. was in 1971 as a SCUBA diver and it was VERY differnt from how it is today,,,,PADI and other dive org. have done a ton to bring the SCUBA sport to the masses in a way that is safe and fun and educational. I am not a card collector, but will apply for this one for just the fact I take some pride in my Texas diving opportunities. In the real world it would be a bonus if some of the PADI funds made there way back to Texas in someway, but who knows. Happy diving Dee!!! :) Alan

PADI makes about $10 off a specialty (for the card only).

The LDS is the one making the money by offering a specialty such as this (which would be a distinctive specialty written by an instructor at the LDS). An outline was written and submitted to PADI; PADI really has little to do with the actual marketing of distinctive specialties.

Only the Instructor that was approved for the specialty can offer it.

randyjoy:
PADI makes about $10 off a specialty (for the card only).

The LDS is the one making the money by offering a specialty such as this (which would be a distinctive specialty written by an instructor at the LDS). An outline was written and submitted to PADI; PADI really has little to do with the actual marketing of distinctive specialties.

Only the Instructor that was approved for the specialty can offer it.

Thanks Randy for the further info.,,,I had heard it was something like that but did not know the process on distinctive spec..

Hey, Dee,

Forget the Doctorate of Lakes Diving card.......I think we should (all who qualify, of course) go for this prestigeous certification. check it out here: http://www.eskimo.com/~dickb/ofda.html.

Regards,

Cudabait:
Hey, Dee,

Forget the Doctorate of Lakes Diving card.......I think we should (all who qualify, of course) go for this prestigeous certification. check it out here: http://www.eskimo.com/~dickb/ofda.html.

Regards,

I am in!! LOL

Guess what Beast is gettin for Christmas!!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom