New OW diver in California, moving to Seattle soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thosted

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I just got my OW here in the LA area, and am trying to figure out how to find someone to dive with. Unfortunately I am also soon(tm) moving to Seattle, so That complicates things.
Anyway…just an OW guy looking for likeminded folk to get dive time with :)

Can't help you on dive buddies in the LA area, but once you get up to Seattle you'll find we have a very vibrant dive community up here with many regular weekly dive groups that are open to welcoming new divers.

Hey, thanks for the replies…I don’t know yet which area, no. still trying to figure that out. I suppose I come back here when I do :)

(Tm) is just a failed attempt at being clever I guess…

Hi, I just got my OW here in the LA area, and am trying to figure out how to find someone to dive with. Unfortunately I am also soon(tm) moving to Seattle, so That complicates things.
Anyway…just an OW guy looking for likeminded folk to get dive time with :)
How soon are you moving?
Why don’t you look up a dive club in the LA area and dive with them. Or sign up for a charter trip on like the Spectre out of Ventura. If you need a buddy they can set you up with one I’m sure. They do some benign dives catering more to beginning divers. They do lots of OW cert dives off their boat so it would be perfect, 30’-40’, many times they go to MPA reserves and the fish life is off the hook.
I’ve been at it for a while and even enjoy their trips a lot. The food is great too.

That’s actually what I did - first week after my cert I went on the spectre with one of the folks from my OW course. Was great, loved it. Just wouldn’t know what happens if I rock up on the boat by myself :) I didn’t realize they‘d try to set me up with a buddy. What happens if I’m the only one solo?

That’s actually what I did - first week after my cert I went on the spectre with one of the folks from my OW course. Was great, loved it. Just wouldn’t know what happens if I rock up on the boat by myself :) I didn’t realize they‘d try to set me up with a buddy. What happens if I’m the only one solo?
They would probably put you with a willing buddy team as the third guy. I find most California divers are pretty cool about stuff like that and don’t hold up crosses at insta buddies.
For me personally, I would have no problem puttering around on my own in 35’- 50’ looking at stuff and just enjoying the dive day. They are pretty loose about letting people solo dive. I’m not saying you should, but I do.
There was one reef we went to that was an MPA reserve and there were so many lobsters milling around in broad daylight I couldn’t believe it! I saw one about 12 lbs. and it wasn’t scared of people, not in the least bit! Could have reached down and picked it up!

@Thosted

I'd recomment connecting with (in order of personal preference) in Seattle once you move here.

1) Marker Buoy Dive Club (Marker Buoy Dive Club – Copyright Digital Cupcakes). They are hands down the largest and most active group all over
2) GUE Seattle / 8 Diving in Des Moines (8diving.com). You don't have to drink the Kool Aid. You can still dive a jacket style BCD and split fins. It is a good, supportive group with many really good divers
3) if down south near Lacey/Tacoma, Off the Hook Diving (othdiving.com). They provide the most complete support for divers: from open water to CCR (I picked up a set of 3L cylinders for my rebreather, everyone else had to special order).
4) miscellaneous other dive clubs and dive shops that organize dives.

What part of Seattle will you be living?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom