New orleans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

makomike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am going to be in New Orleans for a short trip and want to dive. Does any one have any recomendations on dive op. I have tried searching and have not come up with any. Then it hit me, if anyone can help it is the scuba board members. ANY IDEAS?
Thanks!

makomike:
I am going to be in New Orleans for a short trip and want to dive. Does any one have any recomendations on dive op. I have tried searching and have not come up with any. Then it hit me, if anyone can help it is the scuba board members. ANY IDEAS?
Thanks!

Well, hell. I live here and still have to go to Alabama to dive.

Mostly the diving leaves about 2 hrs south of here, from Empire and/or Port Fourchon. Rig Trips/all day affairs, spearos and long boat rides (After the long drive down). So I'm trying to get my local buddies to hit the lake (which isn't very deep, but does hit 18ft in places).

So, in short, Local diving is hard to come by, even if you live here and don't own a boat. It would be easier to book a marsh fishing trip.

We do have several dive shops, though (in the suburbs, only now). Carribbean DS, Harry's DS, Temento's and Chag's are more of a sporting goods store, but they have some gear.

Chag's seems to be out of the dive shop business. The boats that do go out depart from Fourchon or Venice. Venice for points east of the river, Fourchon for points west. Available charters are a bit thin after the boat culling Katrina did for us. There are a couple boats taking out divers and fishermen from Gulfport/Biloxi area but don't expect to find much with any legs on them. A good Gulfport trip may involve over 250 miles of running on the water. Few of the surviving boats have the fuel capacity to make runs like that. (Read as trailerable since +90% of those that didn't get wheels under them died in the storm. Many are coming out of the trees and marsh in small carry able pieces.)

FT

wow didnt know it was going to be that hard. I guess i'll have to leave the dive gear home. That will mean i wont be able to dive for 5 days. that hurts. i'm getting the shakes just thinking about it. that will be the longest i've went with out diving for 10 months. if anyone has any other ideas please post. i will be available to dive the 18th & 19th of oct.
mahalo

Its really just a simple lack of divesites, aside from the Lake, you gotta travel.

Head out to 'Bama' and I can dive in the PM of the 18th, if I'm not working in New Orleans :p

makomike:
wow didnt know it was going to be that hard. I guess i'll have to leave the dive gear home. That will mean i wont be able to dive for 5 days. that hurts. i'm getting the shakes just thinking about it. that will be the longest i've went with out diving for 10 months. if anyone has any other ideas please post. i will be available to dive the 18th & 19th of oct.
mahalo

Well, I'm taking the nephews to a "discover scuba" event at Tulane on the night of the 18th.:D

Harry's does have a 16ft deep pool, too.

I have yet to dive the artifiical reef sites put down in Lake Ponchartrain a couple of years back. Has anyone else ventured out that way? Paul?

P_Abercrombie:
I have yet to dive the artifiical reef sites put down in Lake Ponchartrain a couple of years back. Has anyone else ventured out that way? Paul?

Can never get anyone with a boat to take me out there. I'm envying Louis Rossignol his spearfishing photos from the lake. It's been extremely calm this summer, and I hear reports of sharks from the Sailing folks.

I'm game, any weekend I'm not hitting the coast.

paulwall:
Can never get anyone with a boat to take me out there. I'm envying Louis Rossignol his spearfishing photos from the lake. It's been extremely calm this summer, and I hear reports of sharks from the Sailing folks.

I'm game, any weekend I'm not hitting the coast.

Paul do you know Louis (Rork) he is a pretty cool guy with several friends over there (Hell Divers) Him Nick and the rest would more than likely love to have you along. They always seem to have some friendly bet going on and they all have boats. They love to ride them Gars!! Just don’t let them talk you into the Rigs them guys are nuts!! But still good old boys From read there post the Viz don’t seem the best but hey it’s getting wet. Nicks (ChasinTail)always looking for guys to dive with.
If your interested shoot me a line and I’ll hook you up with some detail on how to talk to them

paulwall:
Well, I'm taking the nephews to a "discover scuba" event at Tulane on the night of the 18th.:D

Harry's does have a 16ft deep pool, too.

Sounds tempting, but i think i'll pass! Have fun with the discover.

suprbugman: thanks for the offer, but wont have transportation to bama.

aloha and mahalos for the replies. safe diving to all and to all a good dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom