New OMS HID Canister Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me and a buddy both bought Dive Rite 21 watt slimlines at about the same time. We both love them but his quit on his last dive(I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for me). Dive Rite is going to fix it and get it right back (at least that is what they have said) to him. I love the adjustable beam but the test tube being exposed seems vulnerable to breakage. I dove it side by side with a light cannon and there is no comparison. For the money I felt like it was a better deal than some of the other HID's out there. Just thought I would let you know my experience.

Gillty

I like and prefer the design of the OMS over the other (Halcyon , Salvo, DR - all the one that use the clip system) for the fact that there is no latches that can come undone, they use a threaded screw on lid, which almost bullet proof. Also the part that unscrews is on the bottom and no where the cord enters the light - thus limiting the possibility of failure from constant fiddling.

I also like the smaller head with a focused beam, for me the focus feature is a non-issue, my lights are always at their most focused. And I also like the switch on the light head itself, sure beats having to reach back and trying to look for the silly little hidden switches in thick cold water gloves. As far as the mounting goes, I prefer it on the plate, leaves the waist belt free for other things and won't drag it down.

Tamas:
I like and prefer the design of the OMS over the other (Halcyon , Salvo, DR - all the one that use the clip system) for the fact that there is no latches that can come undone, they use a threaded screw on lid, which almost bullet proof. Also the part that unscrews is on the bottom and no where the cord enters the light - thus limiting the possibility of failure from constant fiddling.

I also like the smaller head with a focused beam, for me the focus feature is a non-issue, my lights are always at their most focused. And I also like the switch on the light head itself, sure beats having to reach back and trying to look for the silly little hidden switches in thick cold water gloves. As far as the mounting goes, I prefer it on the plate, leaves the waist belt free for other things and won't drag it down.
Just FYI, if you undo one of the latches on the Halcyon style lights at depth, nothing actually happens. Happened to me once. Past a few feet you probably wouldn't be able to open the thing if you tried unless there was a previous leak. I personally don't like threaded things as they can more easily get gunked up.

jonnythan:
Just FYI, if you undo one of the latches on the Halcyon style lights at depth, nothing actually happens. Happened to me once. Past a few feet you probably wouldn't be able to open the thing if you tried unless there was a previous leak.
Wish I could agree with that ... had a latch come undone on my former Helios 9 (aka "The Mutant") about a year ago ... and about $800 worth of repairs happened ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Wish I could agree with that ... had a latch come undone on my former Helios 9 (aka "The Mutant") about a year ago ... and about $800 worth of repairs happened ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
At what point in the dive did the latch come undone?

jonnythan:
At what point in the dive did the latch come undone?
I don't know ... because I didn't notice it until the dive was over. Truth to tell, the lamp continued to work for the duration of the dive.

But what I do know is that when one side is latched and the other isn't, it takes considerable force to press the open side down to where the o-ring provides a decent seal. I'm not convinced that water pressure alone could provide that much force ... not at recreational depths anyway.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

lundysd:
Hey has anyone seen/tried out the new OMS Canister light? What are your thoughts? How does it compare to a Halcyon Helios or a Diverite? This is the fixed 10w system that I'm considering -- a little easier on the wallet :)

A word to the wise...

When OMS uses the word "new" to describe a piece of gear, it generally can be translated to "unavailable". If OMS has a "new" cannister light, I would be very surprised if you could actually get one. In fact, I believe we tried to get one of these and were told that they were not available and that they didn't know when they would be so. I'd suggest that you look at something else.

Stephen Ash:
A word to the wise...

When OMS uses the word "new" to describe a piece of gear, it generally can be translated to "unavailable". If OMS has a "new" cannister light, I would be very surprised if you could actually get one. In fact, I believe we tried to get one of these and were told that they were not available and that they didn't know when they would be so. I'd suggest that you look at something else.

I've seen tons of these lights around actually and to get one is not a problem at least thats what some local shops say. Althought I might be different seeing as I'm up in the great white north eh.

Alex

DS tank wipe:
I've seen tons of these lights around actually and to get one is not a problem at least thats what some local shops say. Althought I might be different seeing as I'm up in the great white north eh.

Alex

Those are probably the older 10W HIDs. OMS unveiled the new one at DEMA if I'm not mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom