New OMS HID Canister Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey has anyone seen/tried out the new OMS Canister light? What are your thoughts? How does it compare to a Halcyon Helios or a Diverite? This is the fixed 10w system that I'm considering -- a little easier on the wallet :)

Hello Lundysd,

Don’t buy a 10 Watt HID, you'll end up deciding a few months later that you need a brighter light. I made this mistake myself, I bought a Light Cannon 100, it showed me HID was the way to go but three months later I upgraded to a 50 Watt HID and have used and loved it for two dive seasons now.

Go for a 21 Watt or above and look for a maker using Brightstar bulbs, they’re more robust that Welch Allyn bulbs made for the medical industry.

Take a look at the Metalsub HID125 (24 Watt HID) and a 5 Ah or 9 Ah battery pack.

Check out www.metalsub.nl for more info, and www.metalsub-usa.com for sales.

10w HID may be ok if the rest of your "team" is at about the same level. If you are a "recreational diver" (what a description, aren't we all?!) and want a light for regular open water night dives, the 10w HID WILL be a disappointment. My 50w halogen (Xenophot) will eat a 10w HID for breakfast, and for half the price as well.

18/21 w HID with a light angle you can regulate under water will meet any diver's needs. Probably overkill for some, but then you're back to cheaper halogen lights. Skip the 10w HID unless for the above mentioned "DIR team" reason.

PS! There are LED lights coming on the market these days that will compete with HID in more than one way. Look up the Dragonsub Snake 21 (LED) from Spain.

www.dragonsub.com

Metalsub USA:
Hello Lundysd,

Don’t buy a 10 Watt HID, you'll end up deciding a few months later that you need a brighter light. I made this mistake myself, I bought a Light Cannon 100, it showed me HID was the way to go but three months later I upgraded to a 50 Watt HID and have used and loved it for two dive seasons now.

Go for a 21 Watt or above and look for a maker using Brightstar bulbs, they’re more robust that Welch Allyn bulbs made for the medical industry.

Take a look at the Metalsub HID125 (24 Watt HID) and a 5 Ah or 9 Ah battery pack.

Well this sounds like a totally objective opinion!!

Guy asks a question about a 10 W and you tell him he needs your $1500, 50 W! Not Cool.

FYI I have a focussable Dive Rite 10W. Bought it lightly used for $500. Quite happy with it

ianr33:
Well this sounds like a totally objective opinion!!

Guy asks a question about a 10 W and you tell him he needs your $1500, 50 W! Not Cool.

FYI I have a focussable Dive Rite 10W. Bought it lightly used for $500. Quite happy with it

He doesn't say what he needs it for. The 10w HID may very well be a bad choice. For $500 he can get a lot more light than a used 10w HID for sure. But a 50w HID may very well be way off for sure :D

( I wouldn't mind, but that's another story )

His profile says certified less than 1 year,fewer than 50 dives. I dont see many new divers laying down the cash for a large HID (nice though they may be ! )

Lundysd, what do you intend using your light for? 10W works fine for Travis. (Local Austin dive site)

Watts are important...but look at the units lum rating,,,,,,this light is great for general sport diving with 170 lumens and 9 watts of kick,,,,all for well under 150.00.

"Princeton Tec "Shockwave LED" Light........
Triple 3-watt MaxBright LEDs combined with Princeton Tec's proprietary optics offer unprecedented brightness and beam smoothness. The 9 watts of pure brute power are offered with two modes of illumination - high for super-bright and low for extended battery life. The light output is calibrated for both close-range tasks and spotting at a distance. The Shockwave LED is engineered to be impact-resistant and waterproof to 100 meters. "

Metalsub USA:
Hello Lundysd,

I can understand your desire to advertise and heavily push your own products on the board here, but I don't think this is appropriate. For one thing, myself and thousands of other divers are more than happy with 10 watt HID canister lights. For another thing, the Light Cannon simply can't be compared to a decent canister light.

The guy asked about the OMS 10W HID, and you responded by telling him that what he really wants is your 21 or 50 watt canister light.

I'd kindly ask you to cool down the blatant advertising on the board here and be sure to read the TOS at http://www.scubaboard.com/faq.php?faq=tos_items#faq_scubaboard_tos paying particular attention to the SPAM and Advertising sections. :)

lundysd:
Hey has anyone seen/tried out the new OMS Canister light? What are your thoughts? How does it compare to a Halcyon Helios or a Diverite? This is the fixed 10w system that I'm considering -- a little easier on the wallet :)
Interesting ... so far, rather than attempt to answer the poster's question, everyone's tried to sell him a different light.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I realize that having under 50 dives (by about 5 BTW) and wanting a serious light is a little odd, but I'm sick of having to constantly manage the bulkiness of a pistol-grip light.

For Travis, a simple Princeton Tec is more than adequate, but I will be moving away form Austin in the near future to colder, deeper waters. That, combined with the fact that I've bought 3 inexpensive lights and have had 2 fail, leads me to believe that a well-engineered light that will last me a while is the way to go. My goal is to begin some introductory wreck diving and eventually light-zone penetration, and for these needs a 10w should work well. I certainly don't need to be spending 1500 on a 50w HID behemoth, although I am also considering the 50w halogen from Nocturnal (thoughts?).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom