New old stock Aqualung core?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nightwatch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an aqualung core setup and like it a lot - and now that I my finance is getting geared up I’m looking for a reg setup for her.

I can purchase an aqualung core fist/sexond stage combo for $399 on Amazon. However as it’s been discontinued a while - would I have to get it serviced before use due to sitting on the shelf this long?

Other options I’ve found are a Mk17 and g250 for a good price - but haven’t been serviced since 2020 so probably $200 to service.

The scuba pro is built better and could last a long time - but hate how expensive to maintain.

Thoughts? All warm water recreational travel diving by the way.

Do you have the core or core supreme btw?
Both amazing regs btw, I have one for stage use as I can without worry have the reg depressurized underwater ( I have the DIN ACD version)

The g250 is such a beautiful reg to breathe from, breaths like a charm, and the mk17 is bulletproof — regs that I have in the multiple

If you are getting them in yoke, I would avoid the ACD feature as I read it has some issues as I have read in other threads

Servicing the g250 is simple, the mk17 is a bit complex; can’t speak for service cost (labor) as I do it myself

said thread here: Aqualung’s ACD - safe or not?
I assume the price increase is due to the fixes implemented

A big fan of either option (and far more experienced with them), @buddhasummer , probablly would suggest the g250 on an AL 1st stage 🤷🏽‍♀️
Maybe he can chime in

btw I see that Amazon US still has an AL core set for the same price (probabyl new old stock)
and Divers supply have it at 499$

EDIT: I misread your OP, scratch that -- I belive discontinued means no longer made; but in support
I also know that AL service in the US is very tough.. probably you would do better with SP

If you are open to other options, and I see you are located in the US; I would suggest you give Deep6 regs (or DGX branded versions) a look; they support self service, or you can ship the reg to them directly for service -- no middle man

Do you have the core or core supreme btw?
Both amazing regs btw, I have one for stage use as I can without worry have the reg depressurized underwater ( I have the DIN ACD version)

The g250 is such a beautiful reg to breathe from, breaths like a charm, and the mk17 is bulletproof — regs that I have in the multiple

If you are getting them in yoke, I would avoid the ACD feature as I read it has some issues as I have read in other threads

Servicing the g250 is simple, the mk17 is a bit complex; can’t speak for service cost (labor) as I do it myself
Just the regular core. I never dive cold water. Unless you count Greece lol. That’s cold to me! Yeah it’s been an awesome reg. Zero issues.

Just the regular core. I never dive cold water. Unless you count Greece lol. That’s cold to me! Yeah it’s been an awesome reg. Zero issues.
Greece can be counted as cold, in the dead of August 😅 (esp for someone like me from the redsea)
I stopped thinking it was last year tho, when I had my first fresh water dive here in Germany 🥶

I have a Core Supreme, several G250s and G260/M17E and a bunch of others. In terms of durability the G250 is a much more ruggedly built second stage. The Mark 17E has signifciant performance beyond the Core. The Core Supreme is just a Conshelf rearranged with basic internal parts unchanged. The same even for the Legend.

The ACD issue was fixed, the Core Supreme with ACD is a fine, compact first stage and impervious to the elements. The first stage on the left is a Core with the ACD shutter valve having a ridge on it. That is the new version. The right first stage is a Legend without the improved shutter valve:

The Core first stage is the same as the new Helix and the Helix is the same second stage as the Core with a graphics change and the Helix Compact is just the same thing in a smaller case. All that, I would go for the Mark 17 with the G250 assuming it is in excellent condition. The Core/Helix second stages are molded ABS plastic, the G250 is 20% glass fiber reinforced polyamide (Nylon 6). Guess which one can take a licking and keep on ticking!

The AL Core is a good regulator.

Thank you for all the feedback and info on the core va lx, g250 etc. regarding the possibility of purchasing a core off Amazon ( new old stock ) - it’s obviously been in packaging a long time. Would I need to do a service on it upon receipt? That’s the big question as if I have to spend $100 or $200 plus the $399 - might as well buy something new or at least recently serviced.

Back
Top Bottom