New old equipment!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior:
I know, I always do things the unconventional way, but tons of people service their own regs. If they can do it, I'm sure I can do it.
Lots of people service their own regulators - and some of them actually do a decent job of it. We see the evidence of the amateur jobs in the shop on a routine basis and enjoy the extra cash (and chuckles) that the shoddy work creates.

You saved a bunch of money when you bought the regulator but don't have the training, manufacturer support, experience, parts or tools to do the service yourself. That's a lot to overcome. Normally I'd say it's fine for you to risk your neck by experimenting with self-teaching, so long as you have the regulator serviced by a trained tech before you actually use it. Unfortunately, it sounds like you're going to test your work on a family member, which would count as both evil and crazy.

One of the most important things learning does is teach you what you didn't even know you didn't know. The difference between a wise man and a fool is often little more than a willingness to learn and the ability to admit the need to.

fine then, I'll let the family guy use my reg and I'll dive this one.

Look, I'm not stupid. There is a 50/50 chance I'll take it to a dive shop. but I'd like to try, and I think I could do it. If I don't think I have it right, I won't dive with it. If I can't get a part I need, then I won't dive withit. If I get it all back together and she works on the surface, then I'll do some shallow dives with it. If it seems that nothing at all is wrong, then I'll trust my life to it. If I die, I die. However, there is still a chacne that a dive shop could not do it right, not a big chance at all, it's very slim, but it's there. Also, many have written how the yearly service bit is pure bull designed to get money. Service is needed yes, but why don't you set a number of dives between services. It's like cars, service every so many miles, not every so many years.

And I screw it up and take it to your dive shop, I'll gladly fork over the money you need to fix it. I don't see how Icould damage it though, I'm not going to be drilling any of it and I know how to use a wrench. I'm the type of guy that changes my own oil. :)

I understand your concern, I really do, but alot of people feel the most important thing you can do is learn to service your gear yourself. I aim to learn how.

JahJahwarrior:
I don't see how Icould damage it though, I'm not going to be drilling any of it and I know how to use a wrench.
Your question and your point both illustrate why it's so difficult. You don't know what you don't know and it's hard to find out on your own.

I understand your concern, I really do, but alot of people feel the most important thing you can do is learn to service your gear yourself. I aim to learn how.
A very worthwhile goal. Get someone who already knows how to show you.

I'll get a book. I think I already have a schematic of the first stage and the second stage seems simple enough on it's own, but I have the schematic for it too. I've emailed a sherwood dealer to ask about buying a rebuild kit.

Back
Top Bottom