"New" Oceanic Pro Plus 3, no warranty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikelleen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought a "New In Box" Oceanic Pro Plus 3 from an on line retailer.

Apparently the seller is now telling me this new PP3 is not covered by warranty. I checked the sellers online reputation and it appeared to be good.

So I admit buying online was likely a mistake. The deal for the computer was good.

So a couple of questions;
Should I be concerned about the lack of warranty for this product?
There is a firmware update for this computer. Can I still get the firmware update?
Should I be concerned about the functionality of this computer? Is this a refurbished or rebuilt unit or is there any way to tell?

I'm sure I'll get the "you get what you pay for, should have bought from your local divery shop" comment. At this point I'd agree but that doesn't help now.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

What online retailer? That info will help people know what your situation is.

Sometimes a retailer is not an authorized dealer for a brand, and you may not get the manufacturers warranty. Sometimes in cases like that, the retailer provides their own warranty. Either way they should certainly let you know up front. It does not necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the item. And sometimes people consider a good deal worth more than a warranty and not a mistake.

If someone sold you something as new that actually wasn't, that would be seriously lame. I'd have no trust for that party, although you might still have gotten a good deal on something that works fine. Something like a computer tends to exhibit any problems early on. Once past that it will probably be just fine for a long time, or at least until you screw up a battery change and flood it, or drive your car over it...

Post the website you bought it on since it's pretty hard to answer your questions based on the info provided.

Unless the seller was overseas I think the Oceanic warranty applies if the seller is in fact a licensed dealer. Which you can check easily here: Dealer Locator

Unless they were selling it used/demo or on consignment. Since there's only about 1-2 smaller mfr's that allow warranty transfer to a 2nd party.

I'm sure I'll get the "you get what you pay for, should have bought from your local divery shop" comment.
I hope not because that person is clueless about reality.
Oceanic has thousands of Authorized Dealers around the globe. Buying from an Authorized Dealer can ensure that you purchase authentic products that qualify for exclusive Oceanic Warranty and Service Programs. All Oceanic, Authorized Oceanic Dealers carry a broad product range and have received training in assembly and service of the products carried.
Sometimes in cases like that, the retailer provides their own warranty.
One where that applies is LeisurePro selling Aqualung/Suunto. They're not authorized dealers and offer their equivalent warranty instead. And a lot better price since they don't have to sell at Aqualung's MAP.

I purchased a 'new' VEO 2.0 and a Pro Plus 2.1 online (EBAY, no warranty). Oceanic does support them for software updates but you will need a cable (about $90). You need to run their dive log software program (on the disk in the box or free online) to interface with to check for updates and current status. This is the same procedure regardless of where purchased.

In the event you need repairs Oceanic is a very good company to deal with for non warranty repairs.They work on a fixed price schedule (varies a little by model) that is actually pretty fair and they will repair the unit or exchange it. In the case of the VEO 2.0 at 18 months and 240 dives it started acting flakey. I sent it to them and with a check for $120 (110 +10 shipping) and week later they called me a said that while they could not reproduce the fault and it checked OK they could swap it out with an exchange unit, I said OK. The following week a brand new, with warranty, VEO 3.0 showed up on my doorstep. The difference in value between the 2.0 and 3.0 is about $120, so I was very pleased with Oceanic's non warranty product support.

I have about 150 dives on the PP 2.1 and have had no issues with it.

As to the question of new or 'refurbished' look at the S/N tag this should have the manufacture date on it (mm/yy) and if it was refurbished it would most likely be done by Oceanic which in my repair experience was sending out a new unit off the shelf.

Post the website you bought it on since it's pretty hard to answer your questions based on the info provided.

Unless the seller was overseas I think the Oceanic warranty applies if the seller is in fact a licensed dealer. Which you can check easily here: Dealer Locator

Unless they were selling it used/demo or on consignment. Since there's only about 1-2 smaller mfr's that allow warranty transfer to a 2nd party.

I hope not because that person is clueless about reality.

One where that applies is LeisurePro selling Aqualung/Suunto. They're not authorized dealers and offer their equivalent warranty instead. And a lot better price since they don't have to sell at Aqualung's MAP.

And I hazard a more robust and reliable warranty too.

When you posted online retailer I took that to mean a dive retailer with an online presence. So my comments reflected that. Buying from a private party he probably got a better deal since the warranty card was missing.

One thing you might check is firmware revision on it - the current one is 1B. News - Firmware Update (Rev 1B) for Pro Plus 3 Dive Computer

There are also a lot of online scuba retailers with eBay stores as well. Leisurepro has 17K items in their eBay store which I assume is much of their inventory. IDK if the prices are any better than going direct thru their website though. I've noticed shops/resellers that do frequently add their logo to their auctions - often on the picture - so they're pretty easy to pick out. I've seen Dolphin Scuba sell stuff on there also. And many of the u/w camera dealers.

I wouldn't worry about it until there's an issue - which likely won't happen.
In the unlikely event that something goes wrong, they will fix for a fair price.

I shattered my buddies 2.1 screen. They fixed and refubished for $170.

I wouldn't worry about it until there's an issue - which likely won't happen.
I agree, both my buddy and I have only had to do battery changes on multiple different computers in the past decade. Except he flooded his Oceanic once by not having the proper tools to do the battery change, they fixed/replaced it for like $100. IIRC he bought a shelf demo from a shop.

Last edited:
Enjoy your computer!!!! I love mine.

Back
Top Bottom