New Nikon D80 and UW housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbackdiver1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I see that Nikon has introduced the D80 DSLR. Looks to be closing the gap between the D50 and D200. My question is if this camera does well in the open market how long will it take for the companys that produce UW housings to have them ready to sell? 2months?

shellbackdiver1:
I see that Nikon has introduced the D80 DSLR. Looks to be closing the gap between the D50 and D200. My question is if this camera does well in the open market how long will it take for the companys that produce UW housings to have them ready to sell? 2months?

Release date for the D 80 is sometime in Sep. Ike will most likely be the first to have a housing. Seem like an easy, (as far as housings are concerned), shoe in for the Ike 50,70,200 housing. How long? Perhaps Ike will chime in and give an estimate.

Thanks for giving the time frame!
I've heard that the size of D80 is v. close to D50, so that it should be fast.

The price for D80, from what I've heard, is going to be under $1000.
So, the price D70s may drop.
Would you then, choose D70s or D80? which one seems to be a good deal?

The Nikon website shows the price for the body only at $999.95 and $1299.95 packaged with the 18-135mm lens.

I just bought a new D70s to supplement my old D70 and it was around $700. FYI.

shellbackdiver1:

The D200 was released in December. Ike had a housing I *think* by March 2006, but it would have been hard to get your hands on one. Don't kid yourself, it won't be 2 months. Ike housings were not really available until around May~June 2006. Maybe Ryan will chime in and give more exact dates.

I had an easier time getting the housing than I did the camera!!

Nikon has been historically BAD at putting out camera's and hot products (18-200VR) to meet demand. The D200 is likely the WORST Nikon release in terms of availability in a body, and the 18-200VR lens, well just absurd. The $699 retail 18-200VR sells on ebay new for over $1000, just plain silly. The wait time on these lenses if orderd from a dealer is 1-4 months, and it's been out for 8 months.

Nikon REALLY needs to get their STUFF together in this arena.

yeah but.....I was refering to the mfg of UW camera housing for the Nikon D80. FYI I tried to buy a D200 2 nights ago and could not find a shop here that had one in stock for the recommended advertised price. The gods must be telling me to wait for the D80.

shellbackdiver1:
yeah but.....I was refering to the mfg of UW camera housing for the Nikon D80. FYI I tried to buy a D200 2 nights ago and could not find a shop here that had one in stock for the recommended advertised price. The gods must be telling me to wait for the D80.

Well, I answered that question as well, 4~6 months based on the D200. I just wanted you to be aware that the D80 maybe harder to get than the housing even 6 months after the release!

I just got my D200 from Backscatter
if that helps...
no idea on their supply...

Backordered on the 105mmVR, but does have the 10.5 and 16mm available.

L&M Titan housing is looking kewl, but sometime, estimated, in the 1st quarter of next year... It's sounding like they are listening to the concerns of upgrading...

I'm in the market for a DSLR soon, but think I may just go ahead on a Digital Rebel based on what you guys are saying.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom