New Nikon D300s housing - control leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glfmkg

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

I went for a dive Saturday with a fairly new Nikon D300s ikelite housing (10 times underwater). The dive was fine, no water was visibile in the housing. After the dive I placed the housing into a rinse tank and operated all the controls as I usually do. While I took the camera out of the rinse tank I noticed drips of water going from the end of the slider control that operates the AE-L AF-L camera button. It was about 1/8 inch of water. I believe that when I slid this control in an out inside the rinse tank, water got in! The shaft of this control was wet inside, so it is definitely coming from there. I'm taking the housing to the pool tonight to confirm, but I'm pretty sure it came from there.

So... here is the situation. I'm going travelling with the camera in 10 days (October 14th) and I will be very disappointed if I can't take my camera. What kind of service I can do to make sure this control operates leak free? I have no time to send the housing to you guys, so worse come to worse, is it possible to remove this control all together and plug the hole? What do I need to do that?

Please help me!
Thanks,
Guillermo

Guillermo,

Based on your information, there could be a problem with either the x-ring inside the control gland or a problem with the control shaft.

You can remove the control shaft and inspect it for surface marks. Also, make sure there is no debris or possibly a small hair on the x-ring sealing surface. Water test the housing in a bathtub without the camera installed.

If leaking still occurs, include a cover letter or copy this thread and send your housing to:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attn: Service Dept.
50 W. 33rd St.,
Indpls., IN 46208

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom