New motors, old technology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent a lot of time in Punta Engano between 1989-92. Didn't spend nights in Lapu Lapu.... more in Cebu City. Does the Silver Dollar Saloon ring a bell? If so, you're best leaving all stories undisclosed, as I know I will, :D

Nice boat, love the twin 40s, so old fashioned!

It is a shame that those types of engines (simple, two stroke, premix, carburated) are no longer available in the Peoples Republic of the USA. No, we have to have all the enviro crap that does not work. Mercury is apparently about to offer a lower tech (lower, not low) four stroke engine with 3.0 liter displacement and no supercharger for their new 130 to 200 horsepower engines as an alternative to the electronic marvel called the Optimax or that other computer driven supercharged marvel, the Verado, both of which will continue in the line up, so they will have three lines of engines, hmmmph.

But, last I was in the Keys a few weeks back, several of the boats we went out on were Optimax powered, apparently the skipper was also a Merc technician at one time and preferred them to the Yamaha, both of which they had in their rental fleet. he said that the Opti was more reliable but tended to have aggravating computer/sensor related failures whereas the Yamahas tended to have mechanical problems. I don't know, I too believe in simple and nothing is more simple than a plain old twos stroke engine with oil premixed into the gasoline.

Anyways, I like the panga with the twin 40s, really nice low tech rig. I would have to have power tilt though, the back just cannot handle tilting engines anymore.

N

Thanks Nemrod. Right now, I don't need power trim. I have a 22 year old son and first mate. :D But those motors aren't that heavy.
Regarding the high tech, we mounted my 90 ETEC on a Memsa skiff that we've had here on the farm for the last 5 years, which is exactly like mine in design. The guys here at the farm took it out the first day and the "low Oil" sensor kept coming on, which then protects the engine by only allowing it to get 800 rpms or so.
The ETEC guy came down, hooked up the software and found the oil pump was missing pulses. He had to reprogram the new, $600 oil pump that doesn't have the same sensor. Another $750 bill.
I've paid as much in maintenance and repairs on that motor in the last 2 months as I paid for one of the new 40 hp Yamahas. Fortunately, the ETEC guy says that nothing else should go wrong. I guess I got a lemon. That motor only had 400 hours on it. I've read on the HullTruth that a lot of guys have them with up to 3000 hours and no problems. I think it's a good motor overall.

I love the ETECs. ECM failures are unpredictable and can happen at any time - but pretty rare on an ETEC.

That being said - after selling my boat with tripple 250 DI rudes - I also have a very basic engine set up now. OLD SCHOOL cat 3208s. Very simple - very basic, clean air, clean fuel, dont overheat and they should run forever. Thats how I like it when Im 70 miles from shore.

Newer electronic engines are great during the warrenty period - after that they can nickle dime you. I sold mine with 6 months lift in the warrenty. Never had major problems - but I was afraid anyway.

Back
Top Bottom