New moon or full moon and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an odd question. Does anyone have a preference for daytime diving around either the full moon or the new moon periods? And why do you have that preference?

I can see why there might be a preference for night diving near the full or new moons. Also, there are special events that occur around one or the other. for example Placencia whale sharks at or just after the full moon. I'm not asking about those. But has anyone noticed a reason to plan a general dive trip near one or the other?

Don’t know if it is related to your question directly but moon affects tide. In the UK it can be a big factor if you are in the Channel for example:

The Moon And Tides

When the moon is aligned in the axis with the sun, you will get higher tides. This is true for both Full and New moon.

Generally, you should plan your dive to be at slack water, which is when tide is turning. This is because there will be less currents as the tide is changing direction. Slack water following high tide is preferred as it will bring clearer water.

The highest tidal range in the UK is between England and Wales and can reach 15 meters. So a spot can be 15m deeper or shallower depending of the tide.

Dover has ‘only’ 7m tidal range.

I think you were more worried about the effect on visibility but thought I might mention the tides. :)

Other links found using google

Does anyone have a preference for daytime diving around either the full moon or the new moon periods? And why do you have that preference?
The only way the moon affects my diving is indirectly, as it affects the tides. If the site I'm diving has tidal currents, I might choose to schedule the dive around half moon, but if there's no issues about tidal currents I couldn't care less whether the moon is full, half or new. Particularly if I'm diving when the sun is up. For night diving, a full moon gives me better vis topside, and that's a nice bonus, but it won't affect my diving. Under water it's just as dark anyway, and regardless of the moon I need a headlight to assemble and break down my gear.

For us, the currents will be significantly intensified with a New moon making many sites completely undivable. We don't have a huge tidal range so not worried about slack water, however on a Quarter moon having the least tidal swing, it can allow a couple of sites at certain point of the year to actually become divable.

In certain areas coral spawning occurs at full full moon, which can bring in lots of fish species and also pelagics.

That said a new moon allow us superb views of the night sky unhindered by any light pollution.

So yes Which phase the moon is in in our location is quite important, and is taken into consideration when planning our boat bookings a year in advance

Edit: to correct typo of Full moon instead of quarter moon - as sarcastically pointed out by Storker

.... But has anyone noticed a reason to plan a general dive trip near one or the other?
Just my experience, but I see more compacted fish aggregations on the morning after a full moon. If combined also with an approaching high pressure weather system, that will increase the density of fish at a known proven general location like a wreck site. A full moon can also result in a coral spawn depending on location.

however on a Full moon having the least tidal swing
Huh? I used to be quite convinced that the new and the full moon came with spring tides (i.e. the biggest tidal swing), while the waxing or waning half moon came with neap tides (i.e. the smallest tidal swing).

Care to explain how Dubai seems to work opposite of the general rule (full or new moon = spring, half moon = neap)?

Huh? I used to be quite convinced that the new and the full moon came with spring tides (i.e. the biggest tidal swing), while the waxing or waning half moon came with neap tides (i.e. the smallest tidal swing).

Care to explain how Dubai seems to work opposite of the general rule (full or new moon = spring, half moon = neap)?
Yes I was having a brain fart, with the full moon being on neaps which is of course incorrect as you so sarcastically pointed out.

If you want to see Ostracods or coral spawning, you'd better plan for the week following a full moon.

My first night dive was with a full moon in the Bahamas with 100 ft visibility. After a few minutes everyone turned their lights off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom