New Mistral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zaphod

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Does anybody have or have plans to purchase the "new" Aqualung Mistral double hose? There's also some sort of shiny new limited edition Mistral, too. I'd love to try one, but don't feel like dropping the cash on one.

Zaphod:
Does anybody have or have plans to purchase the "new" Aqualung Mistral double hose? There's also some sort of shiny new limited edition Mistral, too. I'd love to try one, but don't feel like dropping the cash on one.

The original Mistral was a single stage regulator. The new Mistral is just a Titan body with a funky little 2nd attached to the bottom.
I was asked to make an offer on one, but I don't plan on it. The thing looks horrible. If you want a double hose, go to www.vintagedoublehose.com, and buy a classic from Bryan. Or go to www.vintagescubasupply.com, and buy one from Dan. Both are great guys. You'll pay less for the reg, and have something you won't want to toss after a single dive.

I have a small vintage double hose reg collection. For the most part, the older ones do not offer things like high and low pressure ports and purge valves. You have to learn different techniques to dive them and they are not for every day diving. That being said there is a certain intangable coolness factor to them. Perhaps for me its from growing up with Seahunt and Voyage to the bottom of the sea and Thunderball. Although the new Mistral comes close, kinda, sorta, it just isn't the right look I guess. It just doesn't cut it from astetic stand point, although I'm sure its a capable regulator. Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Using the Titan first stage is ok, but the design really turns me off with it's little LP hose running from the titan to the really cheap looking "2nd" stage stuck on the end of the titan.

The only advantage over an older design is the ability to have LP ports and an HP port. On an older reg like a DA Aquamaster, you have to use a banjo fitting to attach a pressure gauge and at best you can only add an inflator hose or octo through an adapter on the hookah port.

It would have been great if Aqualung had stuck the new Mistral's guts (and that really offensive LP hose) into a vintage double hose looking case. You could have still had the LP ports and HP port on the Titan first stage sticking out the back of the case.

So, you guys aren't going to get one because it doesn't look cool....that's what I'm gathering. I wasn't hoping to hang the thing on the wall, but actually use it. The other very real and very important advantage of getting this reg over an older design is that I can go down the street to get a rebuild kit.

Zaphod:
So, you guys aren't going to get one because it doesn't look cool....that's what I'm gathering. I wasn't hoping to hang the thing on the wall, but actually use it. The other very real and very important advantage of getting this reg over an older design is that I can go down the street to get a rebuild kit.

No, because its a kluge regulator and not worth the price, MSRP being around $900. Parts are readily available for Aquamasters and Royal Aquamasters and one can be bought and rebuilt to like new for far less $$ and breathe just as well.
While I have a banjo fitting for SPG and adapter and swivels to connect inflator octo and even dry suit I prefer using my one 80 that has an h valve or my old double
50's and 72's that both have dual post Sherwood manifolds. My 2 hose goes on the center post with a Conshelf on the other post feeding everything else.

I saw that special edition Mistral you mentioned the other weekend at an exhibit of the Historical Diving Society as a price for a drawing. Looked more snazzy than the stock Mistral and comes in a beautiful wooden display case.

Personally I also prefer the look of the older metal cases over the the composite that is used on the new Mistral. The exposed LP hose to the 2nd stage doesn't bother me, but nicely finished metal just looks better than composites. Having said that, composites have a weight and corrosion advantage, so if you actually want to dive and travel with it there you go.

Either old or new, these regulators don't breath anywhere near as well as high performance regs you may be accustomed to. OC I use Atomic B regs, and the Mistral by comparison breathes as archaic as it looks. In other words a bit better than old ones, but not as good as modern regs. You'll have to get accustomed to hydrostatic differences playing a role in your WOB. If your lungs and the 2nd stage are on different levels in the water column you'll feel it.

I know several OC divers that were very excited after seeing pictures of the Mistral. Not being into diving antiques (maybe because they weren't around back then :wink: ) two who bought were rather unhappy, the third who followed my advice to try it first ended up not buying one. Of the other two one sold his, the other one dives it once in a while when taking pictures of something quicker than a nudibranch and less curious and playful than Sea Lions. The rest of the time it's sitting around, and that's where the original single stages shine (when polished).

So I highly recommend to try the Mistral first if you consider buying it, especially if you never used anything with corrugated hoses and tangible hydrostatic pressure differences. There's a reason they went out of style. :wink:

BTW if you're accustomed to wearing your tanks high to access your valve any 2 hose including the new Mistral will breathe like a 3 foot snorkel, seems many who purchased the new Mistrals didn't know this nor do many that sell them.

rmannix:
No, because its a kluge regulator and not worth the price, MSRP being around $900. Parts are readily available for Aquamasters and Royal Aquamasters and one can be bought and rebuilt to like new for far less $$ and breathe just as well.
While I have a banjo fitting for SPG and adapter and swivels to connect inflator octo and even dry suit I prefer using my one 80 that has an h valve or my old double
50's and 72's that both have dual post Sherwood manifolds. My 2 hose goes on the center post with a Conshelf on the other post feeding everything else.

So, reproduction and "limited quantity" parts from a small handfull of vendors make them "readily available?" Have you actually tried the new Mistral? If not, how can you say that it will "breathe just as well?"

Zaphod:
So, reproduction and "limited quantity" parts from a small handfull of vendors make them "readily available?" Have you actually tried the new Mistral? If not, how can you say that it will "breathe just as well?"
No I haven't tried it.
The Titan 1st stage is internally identical to the Conshelf, just a different body. the same guts are in the Royal Aquamaster which I own.
Conshelf/titan parts are readily available.

Hoses and duckbills while from a small handful of vendors are available enough for me and relatively cheap.
Not saying the new Mistral is bad, just not worth the big bucks.

While I like diving a 2 hose, especially when doing photography (and they're just about freeze-proof, with both 1st and 2nd stages staying dry. the external titan 1st stage on the new Mistral an exception as well as the old Sportsways which had a wet external ambient cavity on the first stage) they will never equal the performance my
G250 or an Apeks, or (insert regulator of your choice)

The new Mistral might be for you, depends on how often you plan on using it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom