New member from Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herje8990

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone,

Started diving back in Miami, FL when I was in college. Now I am in Okinawa diving more than ever.
Currently certified at IANTD sidemount tec diver, about to start my rebreather diving journey using the SF2.

Whoa! I'm jealous! Welcome to ScubaBoard and Howdy! from Texas.

Hello everyone,

Started diving back in Miami, FL when I was in college. Now I am in Okinawa diving more than ever.
Currently certified at IANTD sidemount tec diver, about to start my rebreather diving journey using the SF2.
A belated welcome to the island.

Yes, welcome here; some of the best diving I’ve ever done was in Okinawa in 1968. Hopefully, the coral reefs are still intact and doing well.

SeaRat

Hello everyone,

Hai Sai!

Enjoy Okinawa, welcome to one of the most incredible dive destinations in the world!

This is typhoon season, but its also PRIME diving season in between storms.
The water is laughably clear, comfortable temperature year round, and there is marine life aplenty.

Head out to the Kerama Islands if you can (If you're military, book a charter through Kadena Marina Dive Shop or Tsunami Scuba on Camp Foster, and it will be 40-60% less than what civilians pay). It's a Marine National Park designated by the Japanese government, and you'll likely see tons of fish, reef sharks, and SEVERAL critically endangered sea turtles each dive.

Come January through April, all the civilian shops are about half off (I recommend Aloha Divers and English Empire Divers) in the off season.

If you're wanting to get into Tec diving, check out Sensei outside of Futenma, or if you can deal with a Japanese guy who speaks very good english (albiet with a thick accent), head up to Take Dive (TA-kay) outside of Onna and talk to Hide. He is a true gentleman, and a master of his craft.

I'd say let's meet up in Sunabe at lunch or in the evening and go diving, but I'm TDY till December.

Yes, welcome here; some of the best diving I’ve ever done was in Okinawa in 1968. Hopefully, the coral reefs are still intact and doing well.

SeaRat
Unfortunately, like the rest of the pacific, the reefs around Oki are a bit blanched, but still pretty healthy.

I dived Sunabe Seawall a couple months ago though, and it still has the most vibrant colorful live/soft coral reef I've ever seen.

Here's a couple of photos of what the reefs looked like in 1968.

SeaRat

PS, MacDuyver, what in the world did you do to that poor shark in your Avitar? :wink:

Attachments

• PJ Okinawa Dive003.jpg
    PJ Okinawa Dive003.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 47
  • PJ Okinawa Dive002.jpg
    PJ Okinawa Dive002.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 56
Nice! im diving in Miami now! do you have any recommendation of spots to dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom