New member from Ecuador, living in the U.S.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daniel Agustin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone. I'm Ecuadorean, from Quito (9200ft high, in the Andes), alas, I dive. I was certified some 8 years ago. I am so lucky to be born in a place where the most diverse landscapes and ecosystems are so close to each other. Back in the day I spent most of my time hiking and climbing in the Andes, then my academic interests took me to the rainforest, and to the ocean. From my father I inherited a love for photography, so I've been looking at the world through a lens for quite sometime now. After my first ever open water immersion, while working on my certification, I got hooked. Diving became a passion, not a hobby.
I'm currently living in the U.S., but I haven't had the opportunity to dive here. However, my job takes me back to Ecuadorean waters sometimes, and I try to dive as much as possible while there. I'm working on my PhD at the moment. My research interests are, broadly, the evolutionary sciences (biology and genetics mainly), the history and philosophy of science, and science policy. Right now I'm focused on the Galapagos and the taxonomic work that's been made with specimens, and consequently collections, from the islands. 75% of my diving experience took place in many sites around the Galapagos. I've been exploring underwater photography as well, which despite being a huge challenge, seems to be wonderfully rewarding.
I surely hope I will have the chance to learn from you all, not only about scuba and photography, but also about so many other interesting topics discussed in the forum. I look forward to exploring the ScubaBoard community.
Un abrazo,
Daniel

Welcome to ScubaBoard. I've searched around, but found little on shore diving or charter boats on the Ecuador Coast. Do you know of any? I'm not interested in the Galapagos. Thanks.

There's a lot of good diving in the U.S.; your location will determine how practical some of it is. Welcome.

Richard.

Right now I'm focused on the Galapagos and the taxonomic work that's been made with specimens, and consequently collections, from the islands. 75% of my diving experience took place in many sites around the Galapagos.
Daniel

Welcome!

Are there more than one Galapagos? I'm a bit confused. It's off the coast of Ecuador, but is it Mexican territory?

It's a group of islands, hence the plural, and not a Mexican holding.

Richard.

Welcome!

Are there more than one Galapagos? I'm a bit confused. It's off the coast of Ecuador, but is it Mexican territory?
Possibly you are thinking of Guadalupe Island off Mexico's Pacific Coast?
Well known for sharks I think.

Greetings Daniel,
Where are you in the U.S.? I can point you to some great folks in California.
-Brian
Thank you Brian!
I'm just in the opposite side of the country, in Virginia. I definitely want to explore some sites in the US I've heard about. lots of people have medntioned southern Florida. California sounds very exciting, but at the end of the day it al lcomes down to timen and money. I know there are some quarries closeby, but family+school have kept me kind of busy.
Daniel

Back
Top Bottom