New mask recommendation: wide vision + soft skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finding the one(s) that fit you may narrow the field a lot. Some can wear almost anything and for some it's like Cinderella's slipper.

Low profile like may of the frame less models will improve your peripheral vision. The smaller volume will make it less leak tolerant, that is any water may be annoying to you YMMV.

I think if it fits right (able to wear without a overly tight strap) any skirt will be comfortably soft.

FWIW, after a similar event my wife ditched her purge and has not looked back.

Pete

I second the Atomic Aquatics Frameless mid-size ultra clear lens mask. Mine has the clear skirt, and is absolutely the best mask I have ever owned in 14 years of diving. Has one of the highest field of view ratings on the market. It is lightweight, low volume, streamlined, easy to clear, and easy to pack.

I am very picky, and went through many before I found the Atomic. Wow! Do I ever love this one! Worth every penny of the price if it lasts for years.

Opal mentioned something about "sweaty eyes"???? Anyways I'm thinking if this affliction causes fogging in a standard mask then a low volume mask like this may be a problem due to the close proximity to the face. I have one that I use for a backup because of the compactness and tryed it on a couple of dives and did notice a bit of fogging. And yes I scrubbed the heck out of it with toothpaste and used de fog etc.
Also and this could be a one off thing and YMMV but the first time I put it on in the pool and went to tighten the strap, the little pin that holds the strap in the adjuster popped out.I found it easy enough in the pool and popped it back in but it did not make a great first impression. It could be because I'm a clumsy oaf or because I bought it at beneath the sea before they were even out on the shelves yet but just a little FYI.
PS I'm not knocking Atomic I actually like the mask, I'm just funny that way.:D

I have a small-ish face and had trouble finding a good mask too. Tried X-Vision Mid, X-Vision Liquidskin, both leaked on me.

My suggestions will be Atomic Subframe and the Omer Alien. Both have very soft skirt (Omer has one softer than the Liquidskin!), both fitted me like a glove.

When I ditched my purge mask from Scubapro and went over to a much cheaper Cressi-Sub Big Eyes mask it was like opening my eyes to a whole new ocean. It gives you a huge field of view, making it easy to look down and see gauges or what not. I bought mine at leisure pro for only $26.95!!! totally improved my diving experience immediately. Here is the link directly to the mask on their site Cressi-Sub "Big Eyes" Two Window Mask from LeisurePro.com

Here is a pic of the mask. It comes in different color combinations.

Third (or fourth, or maybe fifth?) vote for Atomic frameless. In fact Scuba Diving magazines recent review of frameless masks does point out that it has the greatest overall field-of-view of any of them,

The Mares Liquid Skin masks probably have the softest silicon of any mask I've ever used. The field of view is also pretty good with them. Omer masks are close second when it comes the softness of their silicon. Most of their mask are geared more toward spear/free diving and tend not have as large a field of view as most scuba masks. That being said, my Omer alien has a pretty impressive field of view given how low volume it is. If you're interested in omer masks, I think the Olympia has the widest field of view in their line. If you want the absolute widest field of view, the Atomic Frameless masks are the way to go, although their silicon isn't quite as pliable as the others mentioned here. Right now I use my Atomic frameless for scuba and an Omer Alien for free diving; my sister inherited my mares liquidskin.

I'll give you a 7th or 8th vote on the same two masks that everyone is raving about. I have an X-vision standard from before they came out with the liquid skin, and I absolutely love it, the liquid skin will only make it better. As for the Atomic, I have not used the frameless, but their Subframe mask is awesome, and I'm sure the frameless won't disapoint either. The nice thing about both of these masks is that they come in a mid size for the smaller faces.

This is the Nth vote for the Atomic Frameless mask. I fit masks on men and women at the shop I work for and I would say that about 95% of the women who walk into the store fit the Atomic Medium Frameless. If you are between 4'10" and 5'9" with a reasonably average build you will fit this mask. What it now boils down to is your preference for skirt color (clear or black) and the type of diving you do more or less decides this for you, e.g. if you do underwater photo/videography a black skirt allows you see your viewfinder more clearly. If you tend to get claustrophobic in confined spaces a clear skirt might be the better option but do keep this type of mask out of the sun as much as possible, solar yellowing of clear skirts is just plain ugly.

The Mares Liquid Skin masks probably have the softest silicon of any mask I've ever used. The field of view is also pretty good with them. Omer masks are close second when it comes the softness of their silicon. Most of their mask are geared more toward spear/free diving and tend not have as large a field of view as most scuba masks. That being said, my Omer alien has a pretty impressive field of view given how low volume it is. If you're interested in omer masks, I think the Olympia has the widest field of view in their line. If you want the absolute widest field of view, the Atomic Frameless masks are the way to go, although their silicon isn't quite as pliable as the others mentioned here. Right now I use my Atomic frameless for scuba and an Omer Alien for free diving; my sister inherited my mares liquidskin.

i've been looking for an omer alien mask color black but it seems it's already out of stock, there are some online stores who do have a stock of the said mask but is asking for a price higher than the srp.

any reviews/comments on the omer olympia mask? seems really close to the omer alien in terms of structure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom