New Manufacture Otarie fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Many years ago, my favorite full foot fin was the US Divers Otarie. They have been out of production for a long time and I've missed them. My last pair gave out a few years ago. Today, I was scanning through the Leisurepro catalog and I found a fin that is almost exactly like the old Otarie. Put the USD logo on them and you could hardly tell the difference!

Head Corda Rubber Full Foot Fins, Black

I am one happy vintage equipment diver!:dance:

I'm going to find out how comfortable they are in a few days. I ordered a pair. I'll let you know what they're like after I try them out in the pool next week.

HEDCRF.jpg
Well, the fins have at least one happy LeisurePro customer whose review can be found at:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...RF&Page=1&Term=head corda&Hit=1#ReviewInfoTab
Despite wondrous technological innovation in fins, this is the fin that comes closest to the quintissential fin: The Voit Viking Fin worn by Loyd Bridges in the TV program "Sea Hunt"!

Your Head Corda Rubber Full Foot Fins look like the new SF158 (Marlin) fins made by Principal Win (M) Sdn. Bhd. in Malaysia.
Swim_Fin_SF158.jpg
Among the benefits of the fins:
1. Marlin swim fins are ideal for swimming in the pool or snorkeling in the open sea.
2. There are 8 sizes available – US Size 1-3, 3-5, 5-7, 7-9, 9-11, 11-13 as well as Jr 8-11 and Jr 11-13.
3. The foot pocket is made of soft comfortable rubber and designed for comfort.
4. Ergonomic design of foot pocket. Forms to your feet for maximum comfort. It is designed to decrease friction within the foot pocket, preventing any chance of blisters.
5. Slip resistant, non-marking sole provides superior traction.
6. Comfortable soft rubber material. Allows your foot to bend and expand naturally, reducing fatigue.
7. Specially designed heel tabs. Allow easy fitting and removing of fins in the water.
8. Long, flexible fin blade. Engineered to convert light kick into maximum thrust.
9. Extended side ribs. Give maximum efficiency by converting the power of your kick into forward thrust. It also gives control over direction of strokes and prevents fishtailing from side to side.
10. Centre rib at the bottom of the fin. Reinforces the shape of the fin to take the strain off toes to improve comfort.

You can download Principal Win's catalogue from their website at
PRINCIPAL WIN SDN. BHD.
They manufacture the fins on behalf of a number of companies outside Malaysia, notably BECO here in Europe:
51ckEHylL0L.jpg
f4s0626-2.jpg
Beco Long Rubber Fins - Orange
I've tried a pair and I appreciated the way the foot pocket is taller than most, allowing for higher arches, and is longer than most, so the toes don't protrude beyond the toe opening. There's a heel tab for easy entry. The blade is quite stiff, but not as stiff as the original US Divers Otarie which I too have snorkelled with. Tell us what you think when the fins arrive and you try them out.

David

Last edited:
My wife still has an original pair from 38 years ago.

The first Otaries ("Otarie" is French for "Sea Lion") were made in France by La Spirotechnique:
image.jpg
Here is a picture of the original US Divers version of Otaries:
102773d1315282101-new-old-toys-drift-diving-robosock060.jpg
Both versions have the distinctive small toe opening at the end of the foot pocket and centre rib on the base of the fin blade.

Thanks David, that's good to know. I, as you know, have a long-standing interest in different fin designs.

John

The fins were delivered yesterday. The first thing I noticed was the stiffness relative to other rubber full foot fins. They might not be quite as stiff as the original Otaries, but they're pretty darned close. Second was the size. I were a size eleven and I bought the size 11-13 (rather than the 9-11). It's a good thing I did because the fins are exactly size 11. A size 13 foot would not fit inside. That would indicate that the size 9-11 would be way too small. I'm going over to the Community Center pool on Friday to try them out. I'll let you guys know how they do in the water.

I just got home from swimming at the rec center. The Head Corda fins fit and worked very well. I wear size 11 shoe and got the size 11-13 fins. I don't think they would actually fit anyone over size 11, though. I would suggest going by the lower size number as to the actual size of the fins.

It's been years since I had a pair of USD Otaries but if memory serves me, the Cordas swim very much like the Otaries. I think they are a very good fin for the price and I'll use them for SCUBA when I'm going minimalist vintage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom