new luggage requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveaustin

Reaction score
Can anyone give me any ideas about luggage weights and the new requirements from airlines? Does a charter flight differ?

Thanks,

American, Northwest, and United charge $25 per checked bag above 50lbs. As far as I know, the other airlines have not matched this, so there's some hope it will be rescinded.

Other than that, I'm unaware of any size changes.

metridium once bubbled...
American, Northwest, and United charge $25 per checked bag above 50lbs. As far as I know, the other airlines have not matched this, so there's some hope it will be rescinded.

Other than that, I'm unaware of any size changes.
Thank You.

I just traveled to Bonaire a few weeks ago and alot has changed about luggage. First of all, the TSA is the new inspectors in town. They have taken over baggage inspection from the airlines. What this means now is: they dont want you to lock your luggage anymore, and if you do, they will cut it off; they will look thru your luggage and they WILL take stuff out and confiscate inappropriate items; the airlines have dropped their liability for your baggage. I strongly recommend anyone that travels to take out optional insurance for your baggage. AND look at TSA's website to check for inappropriate items that you CANNOT take: http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=12&content=13 Also, a note on the weight issue. They are all dropping the weight you can take with you. Air Jamaica and Continental are at 60#, and some are at 50#. look forward to that staying there for some time. You really need to check how much you are taking with you. Some airlines are charging $2 per pound over the weight limitation. this is a new world we are living in...

I keep dive gear in checked luggage to an absolute minimum for several reasons, including the ones LUBOLD8431 mentioned. It's surprising how much gear you can squeeze into legal-size carryons.

Good thing US airlines don't weigh carryons...

:D

Also the 50# weight limits are generally for domestic flights. At least on american, international flights are still at 70.

I keep my reg, computer, lights and other doo dads in my carryon. BC, fins and wetsuits are checked. I have discovered from experience that when diving every day in the Caribbean you need very little in the way of clothing, especially at dive-camp all inclusives. After all, most of the day is in a bathing suit. I am easily below 50# on my single checked bag this way.

The way things are going, a lot of divers are going to get charged extra for their purpose built dive bags. Most of these are over the 62" limit anyway.

Delta also has a fee for luggage over the weight limits, check their website for the $$. I know that when we checked our baggage last week they told me it would be cheaper to pay for an extra bag than to pay for the extra weight. So pack lighter and check more bags. Go figure how that will help them.

Also, due to the extra security measures I agree on the packing lighter as they really turned my things around in my bags coming home. On they way to Miami, my 1mm wetsuit got a tear in it from how they put it back in my luggage. Grrr...now I need to see it it can be repaired.

I'm going to Grand Cayman this weekend and just checked with our carrier, Continental. On international flights, Continental allows 2 checked bags with max weight of 70lbs each. Their max weight on carry-ons is 40lbs (but I've never seen any airline weigh a carry-on). From what I've seen on the airline websites, they all allow up to 2 checked bags with max weight of at least 50lbs each. I'd say that if you're a little over in weight for one bag, pack a second smaller bag or take some gear as carryon (which most of do anyway).

I found you can still lock your bags. Here is how.

get to check out early and allow them to hand search your luggage before check in. They will then allow you to lock the bag and they place a tag on it and check it in for you. Most of the time they check you in as well which saves standing in line.

Hallmac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom