New Light Recommendations??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerKnee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, so my primary flooded on me and I'm in the market for a new one and I have a few questions I figured I'd ask the vast wealth of knowledge that exists here...

First- My former primary was a UK C4 LED. It flooded after I used it around 6 times and the only time I opened it was when I put the batteries in it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Second- I'm looking to get a light for rec use so I'm not looking for anything to intense, around $200 Also where is good place online to get said light as my LDS pretty much only carries the UK's... Any recommendations?

Also I'm considering a wrist mount but I'm wondering what peoples experiences have been them?

Thanks For Your Help

Kris

I recently bought the Dorcy/Penetrater 220lumen light. It's one of the newer CreeQ4 lights. Nice light - six AAA's, the lighthead twists on/off so no switch issues.

Except for someone with a Princeton Tec 3-LED light, I had 2nd the brightest light on a LOB trip recently. My buddy has a UK C4 eLed - IMO mine was slightly brighter - he disagrees. Also slightly bluer. And considerably smaller. 205 vs. 220 lumens - I think I'm right..lol.

And it's only $50-60 depending on if you buy it from the mfr. or Piranha Dive Mfg. <- I did.

Dorcy sells it on their website
Dorcy Dive II 220 Lumen Submersible LED Dive Light

Piranha sells it as the Penetrater 220 - often at a better price. When you get it it will say Dorcy on the handle.

They also sell an optional soft Goodman (wrist) handle for it.

LED Lighting Products Piranha Dive Manufacturing

Competition for the Dorcy is the Intova Nova at $60: http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...e=Intova&ProductID=INTT&Sort=Stock&DescSort=0

They also have a w/a version for $10 more: http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...=Intova&ProductID=INTT4&Sort=Stock&DescSort=0

IDK much about either of them

For your budget you can check out the M220. However, you can consider going one step up to the SLX 800t if you ever plan on getting a camera/video setup since the 800t doubles up as a nice video light.

Nocturnal Lights LED Dive Lights

You indeed should send it back to UK.
and if that does not work:

With the risk of being fataly flamed: you might want to consider the Ugly Lights, especially the MJ-850, discussed in the other topics. It is cheap to buy at around $100 for a 1200 lumen light... but it is produced and marketed from China.

Just bought me one of these, only used it in the pool... now waiting to go diving with it. (Egypt holiday might not take place this year)

Found it at DealExtreme... but a bit more expensive

Last edited:
+1 on the Dorcy's. We were doing light drills at Ginnie this weekend and man they are bright and have allot of punch. Ready to upgrade from Intova's and will be buying the Dorcy's.

Thanks to all you guys for the help. I'm going to send the UK back and see what they say and I'm also going to pick up the Dorcy with the wrist mount to see how like the whole wrist mount thing.

Thanks again

Kris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom