new jersey sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segundo3000gt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hi, i've got a friend that lives in surf city, nj. i might be going out to visit her and i was hoping to find some dive sites nearby. anyone have any suggestions? thanks.

Shore or boat diving? There are plenty of both around. Are just looking to dive to get wet or planning on doing some Jersey wrecks? If the latter, it's not to be taken like jumping in the water in Florida. Check out our club web site. You can get plenty of information on both shore and wreck diving.

www.wreckvalley.com

thanks spratman. yeah, i'm just looking for something simple to get me in the water. i don't plan to rent a boat to head out so i'm looking for something that might be worth shore diving to.

There is some beach diving in NJ, in the winter, you will need a drysuit.

In Point Pleasant, you can dive either the RailRoad Bridge or the Inlet. There is also diving at Shark River Inlet. There is Bluffs Wreck in Bay Head but its hard to find and the beach entry can be a *****.

Best bet is to go to a local dive shop. Your in Surf City, I believe there is a shop in LBI. I work out of shop north of you. Diver Two in Avon, www.diverstwo.com

I will be diving in Point on Feb 10, you can join us if you want.

BTW, I talk about diving the NJ inlets in my podcast, you can download these recent episodes : http://media.libsyn.com/media/poddiver/PD057.mp3

http://media.libsyn.com/media/poddiver/PD056.mp3"

sound like good options. i have a 7mm setup with gloves and hood. think that's adequate? i looked a bit at the sites you mentioned and they sound like they're about an hour drive. any idea if there is anything you can do along Long beach blvd on either the east or west side of the island?

There's really ZERO shore diving there. We have a house there, and are down there every weekend so I wish there WAS something to see.

When will you be on LBI?

There's a couple of boats that go out of Barnegat Light.

7 mm with a farmer John and hood plus cold water gloves is the norm until Sep/Oct. Even then if the tropical storms have not mixed the water it may still be only 50 degrees on the bottom. Dry suits afford comfort and makes Jersy diving likeable!

There are two sites on LBI that I can find web references to. One of them is on the map from njscuba - some type of troop carrier a few yards off the beach at Harvey Cedars, the other is on shorediving .com - Holgate Jetty. I normally spend a week every year in Holgate and have never seen anyone dive there, but somebody did post a report.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_/New_Jersey_/Holgate/index.htm

Been in the water near there with a snorkel and may as well be diving a mud puddle. 'Course 'tis nothing like black water, so ... may give it a try this summer if I can find another insane person to go along.

The local dive operation (LBI Scuba) didn't know about either place last time I asked them.

There are boats available - on or near the island. LBI scuba just bought their own, BTW.

I use a 6.5mm fj/j with a good hood and gloves there. Do own a drysuit, but the thought of climbing the ladder with that much lead .....

Back
Top Bottom