New Here - From Palmetto, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AMValenti

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New here, not entirely new to diving, but new enough to know I know nothing. I got my OW about three years ago, so I'm still working things out. Including finding time to go diving. :)

Welcome to ScubaBoard. From your profile - "About 3 years ago, we were on a cruise ship that had a PADI center onboard, and I coerced my wife and our youngest son to get certified. We did our certification dives in Cozumel and Roatan and have been back a couple of times now."

So you know a couple of the most popular Caribbean destinations. If time's an issue, and flexibility would be useful, perhaps in-state destinations that don't require flying might help you. Are you familiar with diving out of Key Largo, Jupiter and West Palm (and Boynton) Beach?

Welcome to ScubaBoard. From your profile - "About 3 years ago, we were on a cruise ship that had a PADI center onboard, and I coerced my wife and our youngest son to get certified. We did our certification dives in Cozumel and Roatan and have been back a couple of times now."

So you know a couple of the most popular Caribbean destinations. If time's an issue, and flexibility would be useful, perhaps in-state destinations that don't require flying might help you. Are you familiar with diving out of Key Largo, Jupiter and West Palm (and Boynton) Beach?
My time issues are work schedule related, so I've been doing shore dives near home (Gasperson in Venice or Anna Maria Island) whenever possible or an opportunity comes up. Like last month my wife had a conference in Ft Lauderdale; since I work remote, I tagged along and wound up setting up a shore dive with a local shop. I'm sort of doing the same thing this Sunday. My wife is doing a refresher - it's been almost a year since she's been out - and our dive shop is letting me tag along.

Jupiter and the Keys are definitely on my bucket list. I try to avoid going into Miami because of traffic, and West Palm is beautiful, but folks are a bit snooty there. :)

There are more current reports for Key Largo and Jupiter, but a taste of what you might see...
Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...iving-key-largo-rainbow-reef-dive-center.html
Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html
Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Trip Report - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report

Jupiter and West Palm Beach look to me from Google Maps like a bit over a 3 hour drive for you. What I was thinking is that if you get a 'long weekend,' for example, you could call, see if a dive boat has an opening, and maybe get over there for a spontaneous 'mini-trip.' For Jupiter, you will want Advance OW and nitrox cert.s.

Looks like Key Largo is around 4 1/2 hours from you. Not terrible.

If getting time off from work is difficult, it can be tough to get a whole week (a typical dive vacation) approved far in advance (when one hope's airfare is cheaper). Places you can drive to on shorter notice have a real advantage.

Oh, you might look up Trailboss123'd trip report on the Juliet liveaboard out of Miami. You've got a liveaboard option that doesn't require flying, either, though the trip's apt to take a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom