New guy question... boat weight, tow capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't this is going to help your plight, but 900#'s seems heavy for a trailer that size.

My buddy have picked up an moved a trailer meant for a 23' (single axle).

Either it is a cheap trailer or we are that strong. I don't think it is the latter.

Nope, I'm towing with a Ford Explorer 4.6L V8, with the 3.73 rear axle ratio and tow package.

Thanks Dennis- so for my calculations, I need to add the weight of the motor to the manufacturer's "dry weight".... yeah, that 3800 lb boat might be too heavy for me.

+3800 lbs boat
+500 lb motor (avg)
+600 lb fuel
+ 900 lb trailer (got that figure from a double-axle trailer manuf... I'd like brakes)
=5800 lbs Total

A little too close for comfort to my max GCWR. I'd like to leave a bigger margin between my actual load and the manufacturer's max load... just to play it safe :wink:

That facts are your will be exceeding the GCWR. This number (by definition) should not be exceeded for your own safety. OTOH, it is a number frequently ignored, particularly by boat or travel trailer owners.

The big issue is not power or suspension, it's braking. If you exceed the GCWR, your brakes may not be able to safely get you stopped when you need them the most.

If you only plan short trips, not too many hills and you have the boat trailer brakes working perfectly you should not have an issue, however - when does everything go perfectly when boats are involved.

I have a Dakota with a 4.7 V8 and towing package (proper low gear, I'm stupid cooler, etc.) and the manual says my max towing is 6100 lbs. I tow a 24' cuddy with a 225 OB that weighs around 6000 and it's not pretty. To and from the local bay is fine but it's pretty tough for any type of distance. It's a lot of boat staring at me through the rear view mirror.

If you're carrying passengers, gear, and a full tank of gas in your Dakota, that might be why it struggles... Even though you're under the 6100 lbs max, you might be OVER the GCWR, which is the truck + trailer.

What is the Dakota's GCWR?

GCWR:
cdoyal- Sounds like you have the 2002-generation Dakota? If so, I think your GCWR is 10,500 (which has a max trailer of 6100 lbs). I think the curb weight of the Dakota is about 4,000 lbs, but adding your weight, the weight fuel, add'l passengers and cargo, and you might be exceeding that GCWR.

I tend to agree with teamcasa. I have pulled a 24 foot Aquasport I/O thousands of miles with a 1/2 ton Suburban. I even pulled a 31 Bertram twin diesel with it a couple of times.
You are in SW Florida so that rules out mountain or big hills. Be sure the trailer brakes are working, take it easy and you will be OK.
It may shorten transmission life a little, mechanically that is the weak point when towing at the limit. Don't tow in overdrive. Set the hitch height so the trailer is level to an inch or so low at the hitch and adjust tongue weight to about 10% of total trailer weight.
You can also weight the boat in the expected towing condition if you want accurate info. A lot of truck stops have scales and will weigh you for few bucks.

I think you should rethink your decision to acquire a CC.

We were talked out of getting a walkaround by a slick salesman. We bought a CC that he had in stock. We regretted the decision every day that we had the boat.

Some things to consider. It is easier to store tanks and other dive equipment in a walkaround inside the cabin rather than having it strewn around the deck. The cabin can also be used as a camping trailer on the road. You can sleep inside the cabin while on the water or underway. You have shelter if it rains really hard.

No one can sit at the front of the boat while underway because it pounds to much.

The lesser weight on the front half of the boat also increases the probability of having to have trim tabs.

CCs are for fishermen who want to fish 360 degrees around the boat. This isn't even realistic as your bait will be drifting towards the stern if you are anchored or tied off anyway.

Well I've taken the plunge. :D

Last weekend I bought a 1997 Aquasport 225 CC, and here it is being towed by my Explorer. The boat is in great shape for being 12 years old. I weighed the boat & trailer, and it's approx. 5660 lbs with a full tank of fuel, which is still under my tow limit and GVWR. Launched it at a couple ramps-- one very gradual, one very steep, and I was impressed. Didn't even need 4WD to pull the boat out.

Now the big question-- where to mount tank holders? I've heard that some have mounted them on the OUTSIDE of the transom (I have a decent sized platform there). Any thoughts?

NewBoatExplorer.jpg

Great looking boat, now you are cooking with gas, that is a beauty.

You did not trade your Exploder in for the "cash for clunkers" program? :wink:

N

I would avoid putting too much weight that far aft. Behind or under the leaning post or along each side

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom