New glasses--new mask prescription?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've done it every way I think. Ground prescription mask, old lenses siliconed to the outside of a mask, and for the past 15 years or so--Tabata masks and "drugstore glasses" lenses replacing the regular lenses.

I just got a new glasses prescription and 1 eye needed a little more correction--the other less correction. I'm curious about getting new lenses for the Tabata mask--Is the first number of the prescription the diopter? If so, I need -400 and -350. Which eye is listed first on the prescription?

Thanks in advance...................

AFAIK, commercial mask lens diopters are based on the spherical correction; typically the "1st number" on the script. The Rx is written for both eyes and for each, distance and near corrections. Thus, there are typically 4 spherical diopter numbers. Choose for the major correction needed, either near- or farsightedness.

In the past 35+yrs, I've changed my mask left lens just once even though I've gone through a box full of regular eyeglasses. I use off-the-shelf lenses and so my criteria is crude: Good enough. Besides, underwater visual range is rarely over 30m and there's a slight magnification in the mask's air-water interface, so I don't worry if the nearsighted correction is a bit weak on the beach. My aging eyes also require close magnification. I use stick-on (silicone?) lenses -- OPTX 20/20(tm) is one brand -- to get an ersatz bifocal mask lens. These can be trimmed with scissors to customize.

AFAIK, commercial mask lens diopters are based on the spherical correction; typically the "1st number" on the script. The Rx is written for both eyes and for each, distance and near corrections. Thus, there are typically 4 spherical diopter numbers. Choose for the major correction needed, either near- or farsightedness.

In the past 35+yrs, I've changed my mask left lens just once even though I've gone through a box full of regular eyeglasses. I use off-the-shelf lenses and so my criteria is crude: Good enough. Besides, underwater visual range is rarely over 30m and there's a slight magnification in the mask's air-water interface, so I don't worry if the nearsighted correction is a bit weak on the beach. My aging eyes also require close magnification. I use stick-on (silicone?) lenses -- OPTX 20/20(tm) is one brand -- to get an ersatz bifocal mask lens. These can be trimmed with scissors to customize.

As the scrip is written od: -400 and

are the first numbers--these are the numbers I should try to match for mask lenses, Is that correct?

is od my left eye or right???? os???

Thanks again for your earlier reply...........

No surgery for moi, if avoidable:D I'd rather spend 50 bucks to change my existing mask than BIG $ to change my existing face!!

As the scrip is written od: -400 and

are the first numbers--these are the numbers I should try to match for mask lenses, Is that correct?

is od my left eye or right???? os???

We've got some optometrists here that can give you a more technical answer.

But OD is distance correction, right eye (oculus dexter -- think dextrous being good = right). OS is distance correction, left eye (oculus sinister -- think sinister being bad = left -- apologies to lefties, but you know what I mean).

So you've got a distance correction of -4.00 diopters in your right eye, and -3.5 diopters in your left eye. Your right eye is a touch weaker than your left.

Yes, if you're looking at off-the-shelf lenses with just spherical correction (no astigmatism or reading), those are the numbers you'd be looking at.

But before you change your mask prescription, see if it's still good like in a pool. Distance correction underwater is much more forgiving than in air.

My optometrist tells me that corrections of 0.25 diopters either way are almost insignificant -- that's the tolerance for grinding lenses.

Where do you find the "stick-on" lenses? I wear glasses but need more for reading than distance, though I do wear for both. I haven't worried about it sky, or scuba diving, but the reading lens would sure be nice when dealing with the computer. Thanks, in advance, Capt. Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom