new gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblemonkey

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi
i have just received my new Mares Abyss reg and all the other bits and it needs assembling, i have had a good look and i am pretty mechanically minded and fitting the gauge, reg and octo to the first stage seems pretty simple.
Is there anything i should know befor attempting this, should i put anything on the O rings like silicone? should i be using anything like threadlock? or should i take it to a shop and get it done?
cheers

Don't use threadlock!!!

i wouldnt have it was just an example?

First thing is just take out the port plugs using an allen wrench, next thing is screw in the new hoses hand tight, next thing is using a small wrench, torque them just past hand tight, next thing is next time you buy scuba equipment, get it from a site that will assemble and pressure test the IP before it leaves their door.:D

use that oxygen lubricant stuff on the threads
and on the hoses when you put the hose kinker things on (what the hell are they called?!?!)

just use good judgement not to put too much stress on the hoses and you'll be fine

bubblemonkey:
i wouldnt have it was just an example?

Bubblemonkey, -as a biker like meself you'll know the sort of torque setting you give an oil filter bolt on the older jap 4s - it's about that sort of tightness, but you'll find that most hose threads tighten up, then physically won't let you tighten anymore anyway.
I don't use any 'stuff' on the threads or o ring.
All I do is bung on a hose protector (using hot water to soften it) slip on my reading specs and inspect the o ring and gently clean it with a lint free cloth, then bolt it all up with an adjustable spanner.
Phil TK

I put ours together with the supplied allen wrench and a normal box end wrench. No special lubricants, no trips to the dealer. Worked just fine.

I always warn people that they should NEVER, NEVER change their own hoses.... Unless they are mechanically inclined enough to change their own light bulbs. :D

scubatoys:
I always warn people that they should NEVER, NEVER change their own hoses.... Unless they are mechanically inclined enough to change their own light bulbs. :D

you'd be suprised how stupid ppl can be sometimes

remmember when hp and lp were the same size?
boy was it funny to watch lp hoses in a hp port

Back
Top Bottom