New Gear Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t0w

Contributor
Reaction score
So a few friends and I are planning on doing our OW course sometime in the next couple of months. Most of the courses around here require you to provide the basic gear (mask, fins, snorkel, boots), so I've been looking around and trying to decide what to get.

This is what I'm currently planning on going for -

Mares Volo Power Fins
Mares X-Vision Mask
Mares Stream Snorkel
Mares Boots + Gloves (no particular reason for these, but might as well keep the trend going.. :) )

For all of you experts out there, does that sound like a reasonable setup?

I'd be ordering this online (This stuff is really expensive locally), but any further equipment I'm planning on getting here from a LDS.

Now, I've been lurking around the board a bit and I realise there are hundreds of discussions along the lines of "SP Jets vs Volos", which is not what I'm asking.. I'm just more interested in whether this is a good setup to start out with, from people who have used the kit. If not, what should I look at instead?

FYI, I'm in Wellington, NZ - so not the warmest waters. What do other NZ divers around here use?

Thanks!

I have and love my x-vision.
Snorkel? I have a few that I've found and they sit in my bin.
Boots and gloves, whatever fits and is warm enough.
I have and have permanently parked my volo's and an now using jets.
Volo's are kinda like splits for flutter kick. Very little effort and good propulsion, but if you do frogkick, they're quite useless. I realized very quickly all I did was frogkick, so they were parked. I like sitting inches from the bottom to see all the tiny creatures, and not silt it all out so my buddies behind me can still see stuff.

Hi there Tow - The kit you are planning to get is fine. My only suggestion is to go to a LDS and try on a x-vision first: you want to make sure it fits first: put the mask on but leave the strap off and inhale through your nose: does it stick on? If you cant get a good seal for the mask then you are going to have to get another style: fit is everything when it comes to selecting a mask.

The volos are good fins - although they do look a bit strange: being a luddite I constantly rib friends who have them. They still swim fine though... I wore my snorkel for my first 20 dives - since then it's only been used free diving or on the odd shore dive (you don’t really need one on a boat dive): so a cheap one should suffice.

Best of luck with the OW course! The benefit of learning in NZ is that when you start doing a few dives in the tropics you will be astounded how easy it is compared to home...

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
Hi there Tow - The kit you are planning to get is fine. My only suggestion is to go to a LDS and try on a x-vision first: you want to make sure it fits first: put the mask on but leave the strap off and inhale through your nose: does it stick on? If you cant get a good seal for the mask then you are going to have to get another style: fit is everything when it comes to selecting a mask.
I should really do that. I don't know if anybody here in Wellington stocks Mares equipment (can anyone verify that?), but I'm fairly sure there is a place about an hour and a half up north by car that does, so I can head up there and take a look at their stuff, try it on etc.

Tassie_Rohan:
The volos are good fins - although they do look a bit strange: being a luddite I constantly rib friends who have them. They still swim fine though... I wore my snorkel for my first 20 dives - since then it's only been used free diving or on the odd shore dive (you don’t really need one on a boat dive): so a cheap one should suffice.
Cool, cool. Makes sense.

Tassie_Rohan:
Best of luck with the OW course! The benefit of learning in NZ is that when you start doing a few dives in the tropics you will be astounded how easy it is compared to home...
Thanks - and yeah, looking forward to heading to the tropics after freezing my butt off here. :)

t0w,

I have the same exact set-up that you describe and it has served me well. However, I agree with the other statements as it's important that everything that you mentioned fits well. I love my X-Vision and Volo fins. Other than that you should be good to go. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

Doesn't matter what brand you buy ... does the stuff fit ? I don't care it it is an $80 mask if it leaks it's no good ... same with the fins you must get the right size. Try on several types and different brands and pick wisely.

scubapro50:
Doesn't matter what brand you buy ... does the stuff fit ? I don't care it it is an $80 mask if it leaks it's no good ... same with the fins you must get the right size. Try on several types and different brands and pick wisely.

Thanks for the replies - I'll definitely head up north and try all this gear on before I buy any of it. I'll also try on some different brands and see what's comfortable. Hopefully the people there also have an idea of what equipment is good in the local waters.

t0w:
Thanks for the replies - I'll definitely head up north and try all this gear on before I buy any of it. I'll also try on some different brands and see what's comfortable. Hopefully the people there also have an idea of what equipment is good in the local waters.

Hope you plan to buy at least some of your gear from the people who made the investment to have it in stock and are nice enough to get it out for you to try on and discuss sizes, styles, and options with you.

theskull

t0w:
This is what I'm currently planning on going for -
Mares Volo Power Fins
Mares X-Vision Mask
Mares Stream Snorkel
Mares Boots + Gloves (no particular reason for these, but might as well keep the trend going.. :) )
Thanks!

Fins - make sure that the fins you purchase work with the boots you plan to get.
Mask - They fit, or they don't. Does the X-Vision fit your face? If not the Big Eye is a bit larger fit.
Snorkel - IMO if you can stick it in your mouth, and suck air, it's a good one!!
Boots/Gloves - Must FIT!!

If you are able to try on all this stuff, and it fits, it's as good as setup as any. If you have NOT been able to try the stuff on, then it could become a bad setup.

Most internet dealers have good return policies, but if you are working from NZ, and purchasing from the USA, that could get expensive from a shipping perspective.

As for purchase from the LDS vs. online, that is a personal choice every *diver* must make. But if you think the personal gear is expensive from the LDS, wait till you see the prices of everything else.

Have fun with the OW training, and welcome to diving!

RonFrank:
If you are able to try on all this stuff, and it fits, it's as good as setup as any. If you have NOT been able to try the stuff on, then it could become a bad setup.
Yup, I'll definitely be trying a bunch of stuff on.

RonFrank:
Most internet dealers have good return policies, but if you are working from NZ, and purchasing from the USA, that could get expensive from a shipping perspective.

As for purchase from the LDS vs. online, that is a personal choice every *diver* must make. But if you think the personal gear is expensive from the LDS, wait till you see the prices of everything else.
Well, after having priced things up I can order all of the equipment I mentioned in my first post (including shipping), for less than the prices of the fins by themselves from a LDS.

theskull:
Hope you plan to buy at least some of your gear from the people who made the investment to have it in stock and are nice enough to get it out for you to try on and discuss sizes, styles, and options with you.
Yes, you make a good point. I'll be grabbing all of my gear that I purchase after the initial stuff from LDS's, most probably the one that stocks the Mares stuff I'm hoping to try on. As far as I'm aware, they are the sole stockist of Mares and Dacor kit in the country. They also hold scubapro and some other stuff. So no, they won't be wasting their time. :)

Back
Top Bottom