New gear purchase survey 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic delta 4 reg with FDX10 first stage and the cheapo octo. (used, but serviced)
+ depth gauge, compass and pressure. (used but serviced)
oceanic V12 fins (steal at $100AUD from ebay)
Oceanic probe LX BC (new, as is the rest)
integrated weights
scubapro 5/7 westsuit
scubapro titanium knife
oceanic duffle bag (no wheels... I'm tough, i carry my gear)
nitrox cert

overall the gear is fantastic, i think i got a top of the line reg at a great price and the rest of the gear is great to use... the probe although very heavy is a great piece of kit and it's going to last years...

next is a tank... now just to weigh up air vs. dedicated nitrox!

In 2010 my purchases thus far include:

Sporasub Mystic Mask: I wanted a freediving mask, as I'm starting to get gradually more into freediving, and it was the best fitting/most comfortable freediving mask I could find. It's also extremely low Volume.

IST SN36 Snorkel: Wanted a simple snorkel (no dry tops or purges), mostly for freediving, and it was recommended by the owner of the shop.

DUI CLX450 Drysuit (Used): Largely because I got a great deal on it from an instructor of mine. I had done a DUI DOG day and tried the TLS350, CF200, and FLX Extreme, and liked all of them, and tried on a Whites Fusion, though I hadn't dove one. The CLX450 from my instructor was cheap and fit me well, so I bought it.

Fourth Element Arctic Undergarments: All of fourth elements undergarments seemed exceedingly well designed and constructed when I saw them at the Scuba Show in Long Beach. They seemed a cut above undergarments from DUI, Whites, or any others I've seen. The 4th Element rep at the scuba show and the owner of the store where I purchased them both recommended the Arctic for local diving conditions.

A steel 5.5 Lt pony bottle with scubapro MK 25 reg tusa button Gage and rigging...... my old pony bottle and reg were liberated I.e some one with light fingers took them

two D'S 160 strobes...... impulse

two ultalight arms ...same as above impulse

A new divers down sticker for my car....... why not

almost forgot
subsea +10 diopter .......i want super-macro

Last edited:
Have you purchased any NEW dive gear in 2010? If so please tell us what item (make/model) and what influenced your decision and why did you choose that particular one make/model over all the other brands.
I bought a DR Nomad for SM. Decided to buy it because I was increasingly interested in sidemount, and picked the model on the basis of what I had read on SB and a discussion with a SM diver / instructor who was pleased with the unit. I like the unit, after removing the unnecessary padding.

IN ADDITION, I have just recently started buying new gear to replace $6K worth of my gear stolen in south FL last month by some @#$%^&%^%$#@ (you fill in the appropriate part part / genetic relationship / whatever) who pried open the door on a trailer that 4 of us were using on a dive trip, and walked away with almost $19K worth of stuff. (There, I vented a bit. I feel better). I have just replaced my departed ATX 200 backgas regs with the Apeks Tech 3 set. I had been very pleased with the Apeks regs, and the idea of buying a doubles 'kit' - two first stage regs, two second stages, a 7' hose and necklace hose, AND port placement specificially targeted to doubles hose routing - was appealing. Pleased with them so far. Next will be two new HP 100cf tanks to substitute for the double 100cf PSTs that cannot be replaced. I am going with Worthington, because I have a set of Worthington 130s I bought last Fall and am happy with them. I am going with another set of 100s because, next to double AL80s, they are the most comfortable, 'trimmable' doubles I have used. Following that, I will get a new can light to replace my DR Slimline 10W LED - don't know yet what I will get, but I am leaning toward a higher wattage Halcyon unit - and my Halcyon Scout back-up, which I will probably replicate. I liked my Scout and see no need to change.

Apeks Tek3 on the way.
Sent the money this afternoon, and waiting for delivery :D

In 2010...

Well I bought all of my equipment :D

1. BCD Scubapro T-Sport Plus. I saw it on an advertisement, asked my instructor about it, and what else he reccommended, and bought it new and saved about 10% of the price.

2. IQ Safari 5 mm suit,bought by my LDS. I got it, because my instuctor has the same one.

3. Technisub Look mask. My LDS is the official distributor of Technisub for the whole island I'm living, so after testing a similar mask, I bought the one I have. It fits exceptionally on my face and I can surely be happy with it and comfortable too.

4. Scubapro Seawing Nova fins. I saw the specific fin advertised on a magazine, liked the futuristic style, asked SB about them, tested a pair and bought one...

P.S. Planning on buying Mares Mission 3 analogue console, MK2+ 1st stage by Scubapro, and R295 second stage,as well as the R295 octo regulator.

Hollis Elite 2 BP/W
Hollis DC2/212 regulator
Oceanic Alpha 8 octo
SPG
Spring straps for my Blades
bolt snaps

Motivation? outgrew my jacket BC & wanted a second set of regs

Most of my equipment (at least the big ticket items), was purchased in 2010, the rest 2008 & 09.
What influenced me the most was the discussions here on scubaboards and diving with different people on charters and learning from their experiences.

So far:

HOG D1 Cold 1st & 2nd stage reg
Hollis F-1 fins

Hopefully later this year:

ScubaPro Mk25/S600 DIN
Uwatec Sol
Zeagle Ranger
DUI Dry Suit

Why? Because working at a dive shop has its benefits!

Back
Top Bottom