New Gear Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LY,

Pardon me, but my AquaLung Malibu RDS definitely has a tendency(to put it mildly) to push me face forward at the surface. Like Kate said, I am probably over-inflated....a newbie thing....plus I am still working out the trim weight to get vertically neutral.

Jimbo

Sig,
Kate and Mike has good points, I origianlly had issues with the push forward as well, but found that in between you learning how to work the bc and getting your weighting dialed, it will go away - I have spent the last 10 dives just tuning weights after getting a new dru suit, so it may take some time to get everything just right.

As far as the Ranger goes, I have looked at that BC - I personally currently dive a Dive Rite Transpac II, which is fully modular and allows you to replace the wings and add things to the belt - a ranger does not have this flexibility.

However, what really had me drop the ranger from my consideration, is the way the ditchable weight system is setup, there is a pull cord which runs around your back in order to ditch the weights on your right side, this pull cord look very much like what you woudl see on a parachute. My concern is that this may work really well in "air", but when you have water, and a tank pressing agains your back, this pull cord may not pull very well if you understand what I'm saying - something to think about.

As far as the Duo air, I would be cusrious if that happens to be the BC the guy has in stock - if you want another one he may have to order it and that means that he is not reducing inventory to get it... Conclusion, he may not neccesarily be selling you what you need, but what he want you to buy...

I think you should do yourself a favor and look into the back plate concept as well as the Dive Rite Transpac II as they are much more modular than the Rangers...

If I ould go out and get a rig romorrow - I would get a back plate over the Transpac II though.

hope this helps,
Terkel

ps - congratulate Kate on her new Dry suit...

I respectfully disagree with the above statement by Steve regarding the purchasing of "recreational" equipment. My advice you, Sig, is not to waste your money when there is no reason to. The so called "tech" equipment I advise (BP, harness, and wing) is absolutely wonderful for recreational diving but is 100% adaptable as you advance (if you advance at all). It is often less expensive than other so called "tech" bc's and even some recreational bc's. The latest price I've seen for a Halcyon 27lb wing, AL BP, and harness is about $500 new. I haven't kept up on all the BC's on the market, but I once saw a Dacor Rig for $700.
I absolutely agree with Steve by saying that one should acquire a substantial amount of experience before venturing into more advanced diving. However, IMO, one can make more out of that experience by starting out with gear that will advance with you, and you'll be 100% comfortable with the gear and configuration if you advance into technical diving.

Later,

Mike

I have to go with LY on this one as well - I have woprked retail as a manager - and there is no way anyone is going to recommend something they don't have on the floor - regardsless of wether this is the suitable solution.

Shop around - A LOT!!!

I believe that a back plate and wings come out about the same as a Ranger btw.
here's a location if you don't have anything closeeby:
http://www.h2oadventuregear.com/tek/packages.html
this happens to be the shop down the street from me so I know they are good - and they carry "rec" equipment as well for the people who have no interest what so ever in going tech in the future...

Cheers,
Terkel

Yay! My Drysuit! Another thing to adjust weight for! If you see a scuba-nerd snorkeling in her not-so-new new dry suit at alki this weekend you'll know it's me. I still need to get a hood & inflator hose. Is there such a thing as a dry dry-hood?

Are we gonna get any decent viz this weekend? Since the sun's been out fueling the algae bloom I doubt it.

-kate

I wouldn't recommend a dry hood for two reasons. First, unless you're planning on staying down a really long time in really cold temps (freezing) then you'll get by just fine with a nice thick neoprene hood. We dive in the ice with our regular neoprene hoods for up to an hour.
The second reason is the potential for leaks and no isulation to combat the cold water if it gets in. Cost may be another consideration. Commercial divers may need them, but the commercial divers I know up here don't use them either.

Good luck with the suit. Expect to make a good 15 dives or more to get relatively comfortable with it. I can be awkward at first, but don't give up.

Mike

Wet Dane,
The owner of the shop we deal with recomended equipment to me that he didn't have in stock.However I was able to check out his brothers Dive-Right Transpac II :thumb:. I'm glad he suggested It!

Tavi:tree:

Tavi,

I'm hapy to hear that - I also know a couple of shops that might do that - but I know a lot more shops that would never do that - as long as you have your eyes open I think things will be fine...

Terkel

Back
Top Bottom