New Gear Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sig

Reaction score
I will be buying my first set of gear and I would appreciate if you all could give me the thumbs up or down for my choice.

My BC will be a Zeagle Ranger and my reg will be the Tech-50 also by Zeagle. For a computer I am looking at the Oceanic Dataplus 2. I wanted to get the air intergrated Datamax Pro Plus but I believe that will be slightly out of my budget. Last on my to buy list is the alternate air source by Tusa, the IR-3 Duo-Air.

Most of my diving will be in N. Calif and S. Calif coast. I want the gear to be capable of taking me from a beginner level up so that I can do some tech diving.

For what I am looking for should I save up for the air intergrated Data Max Pro Plus or will the Dataplus 2 suffice. The dealer will sell me the items for a package with the Dataplus 2 it will cost me $1447 and the Datamax will run me $1709.

Please let me know if I have made a good selection and whether or not I should take the dive and spend the extra cash. Also do the prices that I was quoted sound fair.

Thanks

HI Sig and welcome to the board..I have almost that exact equipment, Ranger, ZD-50 and Dataplus comp. I like them all and unless you are going to get into some really techy stuff you should be happy with them. I would suggest that you rent or borrow the equipment and give it a try as well as any other make/models you thought you might like before actually buying the equipment just to make sure that you don't find some quirk about the equipment you just can't stand. For example, if you have not used a back inflated BC, they have an annoying habit of pushing you face down on the surface. It's not to hard to get use to but if all you have used is a jacket type, it can be an unpleasent suprise. As for the air intergrated computer, thats a matter of opinion. Personally, I don't care for them for this reason. Computers do die (saw 2 die on one trip)and if you are using an air intergrated computer, your diving has ended. Mine died while on my first dive of a 3 day trip which could have been very upsetting but I simply dropped back to a watch and tables and had a fun weekend. If I had had an air intergrated, I would of had no way of knowing my air pressure and would have had to abort that dive and would not been able to dive any more unless I could buy/borrow some equipment. An alternative is to use an intergrated computer and keep the air gauge as well. I like my Zeagle gear, you most likely will too, but again, do yourself a favor and try before you buy.

If I were you and had your budget, I would consider the simple AL back plate, harness and 27# Halycon wing set up (for single 80's). The T50D is an awesome reg, but I would forget the TUSA Duo thing. I don't know about the computers you mentioned, but I would hesitate here. Most computers, IMO, are too conservative and not as safe as good tables when it comes to tech diving. You'll find that most don't do deep stops and other accerated deco stuff. I guess a basic computer is fine ( I use an old Uwatec Aladin Pro, but mostly as a timer), but for real deco diving you'll learn that tables/timer are a better route all the way around.
If you get the BP, harness, and wings, lose the TUSA Duo thing and down size the computer, the money saved could get you a 300 BAR DIN H-valve (Scuba Pro) and perhaps another T50D (300 DIN)with a long hose. With this setup, you're well on your way to getting comfortable with a DIR tech configuration.

Somthin' to chew on.

Mike

Hi Sig,

I have to chime in with Mike on this one - the fact that you have already indentified an interest in technical diving would make me think that you should look very hard at the back plate setup as this is the way to go - anything else is a step that you will have to pass (eventually trying to sell that used gear), might as well do it right from the outset.

Again, your primary is good - I too would not touch the Duo air with a pair of long handled pliers - this is a recreational "thingie" and has no place in technical diving.

I also second the opinion on the computer - if you really want to look for a computer for tech diving - go to the Bikini site and check their list of recommended computers - that list is based on wat doesn't break.
Air integrated is a no-no! If you want to stay low in price - just get whatever cheap computer that will keep you diving for now, knowing that you will replace it in the future (this knowledge will also limit the amount of money you are willing to spend).

Also - from the configuration you have mentioned, I wonder if you mentioned to the shop that you were considering technical stuff in the future and if so - I would shop that consideration around a little more - I look for two things when I'm in a new area where I don't know the shops -
Do they have cannister lights?
and ask the shop people if they are familiar with DIR?

if both of these answers are no - I personally don't feel that the shop is qualified to tell me wht I need for any technical diving.
Hey - this test is pretty black and white and would not apply in all cases - use common sense!

Cheers,
Dane

Hey sig,

I agree with Wet Dane on the dive shop thing. I live in an area where there isn't a decently run dive shop for several hundred miles. My advice is to learn all you can via the internet and such before you purchase anything. Dive shop owners/workers are not necessarily "experts" nor are they necessarily knowledgable in various types of gear, configurations, and training.
I see this all the time where dive shops sell expensive, worthless gear to new/naive divers. Go in knowing what you want and don't be talked into anything without serious thought. If they don't like it, go elsewhere or order the gear you need. This is how I have to do it.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, don't piss them off, though, because you'll still need air. Been there, done that.

Thanks for all the replies. I was able to try a Ranger BC this weekend and I liked it. To avoid being pushed forward tank weights were put on. I'm not familiar with the Halycon gear. I did see that Zeagle did have an optional wing bladder but I am not sure if it is compatible with this particular BC. If it is has anyone tried it?

I did mention to the store owner that I wanted the gear to be for some minor tech stuff eventually. The entire package was already listed but with the air integrated computer, so I asked him if it would be suitable for me but with the cheaper computer. I hope he's being on the level with me. My friend has done business with him for years and says that the guys knows his stuff so hopefully he isn't trying to just get a $ out of me.

I am considering losing the Tusa Duo but a friend suggested that if I wanted to keep it I should get another octopus and have it as yet another back up. Does this sound like a decent idea or is it just a pos all together.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Dave

I know that the techies will chime in here since you expressed an interest, but my thought is to keep it simple. I woudn't mess with that Duo-air thingy at all (even for rec diving) and I sure wouldn't use it AND a 2nd 2nd stage (octopus). Among other things it's one more 2nd stage to service & maintain. If it's redundancy you are after there are other ways to achieve it.

-kate

I agree with Kate -- KISS. The last thing you want is a mess of three seperate regs that create unneeded failure points --regardless of the type of diving.

Do yourself a favor when you order the reg. Get at least a 5' (7' if you plan on penetration stuff) hose on the primary and a 26" on the back up, and put a bungie necklace it. You won't need an octopus length hose (40"?) except later on for stages.

I suspect there was something "wrong" with the Zeagle BC setup if you needed tank weights (tank placement, bands, ?). I'll let others who are more familiar with these type of BC's ring in here, but I have never experience that with my BP and wings. Something's going on there I'd look at.

Again, I'm not familiar with the BC you mentioned, but at the very least you would want interchangable bladders/wings to accomodate different tank configs (singles/doubles). This is where some people spend an unneeded fortune if they have to buy another BC down the road to accomodate different dives.

Mike

Hi Sig, when you are talking about "being pushed forward" is that on the surface? If it is then you probably had a little too much air in the BC. If you let a little out so that you are still positively buoyant but you can lean back into the BC like it's a recliner you should be good to go.

I dive a ranger too & have no problem at the surface unless I overinflate. Even then it's not much of a "problem".

Mike/Terkel: Does the BP/Wing config have the same tendancy to float you face-down as a plain ol' back inflation type bc?

-kate

I am able to stay completely vertical on the surface without even thinking about it. Being properly weighted has a lot to do with it I think, but even with fairly full wings I can stay vertical with no problem. It's a very popular misconception about back inflation BC's.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom