New gear and emergencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was trained that, if your buddy is functional enough to give the OOA signal, you move both arms back and out of the way so that they can access your spare air (which they can see)

I've never understood the logic of this approach. It's basically giving control of your air source to someone who is not breathing, and quite likely under a rapidly building amount of stress ... and giving a diver who may be in a developing state of panic unfettered access to you and your equipment.

I prefer, and train my students to actively donate ... hold it out there at arm's length where the reg you want to donate is the first thing about you that they can reach. That way it's you who gets to control the situation ... and not them. It reduces the risk of "surprises" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

storker:
I grab for my octo. It's not there. I grab again, and it persists in not being there. However, I know my octo is still around somewhere, so I think "OK, screw it!", take a good breath of air, donate my primary and make sure that he's breathing from it. This gives me time to fumble around to find the d*mned octo. With my buddy's air supply secured I fumble around my right shoulder, locate my secondary fairly easily, put it in my mouth, clear it and give the "ok" sign.
Good for you! In an actual OOA situation your quick thinking might have made the difference between a successful and unsuccessful outcome. The actual OOA diver would be ready to panic after a few seconds of trying to find the alternate.
storker:
I had gone from a (standard jacket-type) BCD with the octo hose bent double and stuffed into my right shoulder D-ring, to a (back-inflate) BCD with the octo hanging in a holder from the right shoulder D-ring since the D-rings on the "new" BCD were too small to stuff a bent hose through. That small, seemingly insignificant change in my gear configuration made quickly grabbing the octo rather difficult
You have made a very valuable point based on personal experience. Instructors regularly remind students and certified dvers to be sure and familiarize themselves with their gear any time they make a change, but that advice often goes un heeded – the importance is simply not immediately apparent. You have had a terrific learning experience. Thanks for sharing it.

There is another thread currently active, in which the pros and cons of an integrated octo / inflator are being ‘discussed’. One of the pros being offered is that you will always know where your octo is. Having seen how many times divers end up with their snorkel in their hand instead of their inflator, I am skeptical that this any more of a ‘benefit’ than the mythical ‘streamlining’ offering greater swimming efficiency underwater because of the absence of one hose. But, what it does emphasize is the importance of the octo being placed in a secure and accessible location. So I will echo two comments in theis thread:
searcaigh:
When I use an octopus I always have it on a necklace and there is never any doubt as to where it is.
YES!
doctormike:
Necklace is the way to go, long primary hose or short. Either way, it's much more streamlined and reliable.
Again, YES! And, you don’t have to use a ‘long hose’ to employ a bungeed necklace for an alternate. If you take the ‘standard’ hose lengths seen on recreational regulators – which I think are probably ‘common’, rather than ‘standard’ – where the alternate second stage is on a ~40” hose, and the primary is on a ~34” hose, you can put a bungee necklace on the mouthpiece of the primary, and secure it below your chin (where you will always know it is there) and then breath off the alternate second stage. This has the advantage of a) not requiring any change in the hose lengths, b) putting the readily apparent (yellow purge valve, or yellow hose, or both) alternate second stage in a place where it is easily visible to the OOA diver, and c) allowing you to actively donate (I fully agree with Bob's point) a second stage that you know is working. (I think a side benefit is that it also encourages the diver to actually have two good second stages, both of which are appropriately tuned, rather than some cheap, under-performing, needlessly ‘de-tuned’ alternate second stage.) In an OOA, you actively hand off the second stage in your mouth (the hose length isn’t any more of a problem than it would have been in the more traditional configuration), and replace it with the second stage conveniently located right below your chin (and that hose length isn’t a problem either).

The only investments required: a) a few $$$ for a bungee necklace, and b) a few dives involving training to hand off the second stage in your mouth, and seek out the alternate beneath your chin. Try it some time.

I was trained that, if your buddy is functional enough to give the OOA signal, you move both arms back and out of the way so that they can access your spare air (which they can see)

What this says to the OOA diver is "oh crap, you are out of air. Find something to breathe off of. Good luck!"
Dumb way to help and psychologically support a diver who is already stressed. Bob's way is the way I teach and makes sense.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

That's the way I was trained, too. Comparing it to the other method described, however, it just makes no sense and would not now be my practice. I write it off as something that seemed like a good idea at the time it was developed, and has since been replaced by better ideas born of experience and common sense.

You know, I think people sometimes think we are just pushing gear sales, when we encourage new divers to buy their own equipment. But this story is a perfect example of the benefits of having your own gear, set up in a way that you understand, and then practicing with it.

Although I am firmly in the "longer hose, bungied backup" camp, I do not think that is the takeaway message here. The takeaway is exactly what the OP said it was -- know your equipment, and practice emergency procedures so that you don't end up in a confused situation when the emergency is real.

I have learned from experience to try out any new gear configuration, no matter how minor, in the pool or on an easy lake dive.
This means simple changes, such as new light,fins or camera or computer,get tried in the pool before being taken on a real dive. Too many times I've had enough increased stress from very slight gear change to have nearly caused a dive to go bad,simply because it was an added stressor it piled on top of other things that went wrong. I remember being very stressed one time because I took my camera on a night dive and realized that I didn't have an extra hand because I had a light in one hand and a camera in the other hand, it was enough to cause the dive to become much more complex and wasn't a problem that I had thought of ahead of time.
As for the octos- our LDS,which I helped with OW classes during DMC,has those octo "pucks" that I believe Colliam was talking about. I would hate to have to use those things in a real emergency. Both me and the other DMC came up gasping and coughing after being donated the puck octos. They are the wettest, worst breathing regs I've ever used, with the exception of my 20 year old Reg that has something wrong with it. Actually, my 20 year old reg still breathes dry, its just really hard to breathe so its been retired.
Why the LDS uses these crappy octos for training and rentals is beyond me. I would think the added stress of learning with a reg that breathes that badly would cause enough problems that it wouldn't be worth it but I guess it works for them.

I would echo all the sentiments about knowing your own gear.

I am the minority that dives an integrated AAS and likes it. I have had too many problems with octo holders that "malfunction" but letting standard octo slip out creating situation OP described when went to find his octo only it wasn't there. At least wit my AAS it is always in a place I expect and can't get lost.

Most important aspect diving with new gear and new configuration is to know where all your gear is placed so can grab by feel without needing to look. But it doesn't help when you reach down to grab something and its not there. The best octo holder I've come across are the cheap silicone square you put around the mouthpiece. Works well and has small price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom