New Garmin Dive Computer: Descent G1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, that sucks. I usually use my phone to sync from my OSTC to the cloud and then analyze on my laptop.

Well, hopefully someone will some day also come up with a smart watch/dive watch which is actually usable.
I do similar, but with my Shearwater instead of OSTC. My Garmin was purchased to serve as a backup, and as a smart/activity watch. It meets my needs just fine in that role, but I do see that it could be an annoyance for a diver just using the Garmin, and wanting to use Subsurface, MacDive, etc.

The Garmin Dive app is decent, but I do prefer Subsurface. One of the nice things with the Garmin App is that data transfers automatically when in range of my phone.

Prior to getting the Garmin, I would download from my Shearwater to Subsurface Mobile, and use my phone's location info to plug into the GPS coordinates. I'd then update tank info, weight, gear, etc. Since getting the Garmin, I do the same except skip the location info. When I get home to my computer, I download from my Garmin to Subsurface. Subsurface populates the GPS info from the Garmin, and adds a second profile screen to my log.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the Garmin. It compliments my Shearwater nicely, and fills some gaps that the Shearwater couldn't. (GPS, faster temp, smart/activity uses, etc.)

Interensting workflow. I might think again about it. It owuld be good to use it for apnea, and travelling. And I like the Garmin Pay functionality.

I might wait and see if I can snatch a G1 cheap or MK2 on a discount.

Hello everyone,
Just looking at descent g1, and I am searching if its available to add the 'average depth' as displayable info during the dive mode. I cant find it mentioned somewhere. Can anyone confirm?

I have seen it as a field in gauge mode, but not in dive modes.

ust looking at descent g1, and I am searching if its available to add the 'average depth' as displayable info during the dive mode. I cant find it mentioned somewhere. Can anyone confirm?
I can confirm. Average depth is not an available field to add to a dive mode display screen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom