New Florida shipwreck book – request for help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aue-mike

Contributor
Reaction score
New Florida shipwreck book – request for help

As many of you know, I produced a book on Florida shipwrecks in 2003. Since then, I have continued to compile additional information and images, as well as improve my coordinate database. Aside from researching, exploring, and documenting new “natural” wrecks, I also have spent considerable time researching and documenting existing artificial reefs. As artificial reefs are the primary focus of most divers in many areas of the state, particularly South Florida, and with the addition of several high-profile reefs such as the USS SPIEGEL GROVE, USS ORISKANY, and the upcoming USAFS GENERAL HOYT S. VANDENBERG, it was clear this latter information was needed and desired. Additionally, during my work I have found that many of these artificial reefs have had very interesting careers that are largely unknown, not to mention that many currently available artificial reef histories are terribly inaccurate or just blatantly wrong.

Due to the resultant size of this ongoing project, I will be forced to produce the new work in three volumes; I plan on publishing the first volume (ATLANTIC COAST) in 2008. To give you an idea on the size, the current draft of the Atlantic volume has over 240 wreck narratives, and is still growing. Subsequent volumes (FLORIDA KEYS and GULF COAST) will hopefully follow in short succession.

Aside from the narratives, each volume will include the respective wreck coordinate database (currently over 4,000 shipwreck coordinates in total), GIS-based maps, and hundreds of color and black-and-white photographs. Which brings me to my request for help…

Due to the number of shipwrecks and artificial reefs in Florida, I obviously won’t be able to visit each and every one to confirm their position, get an idea of the site itself, or capture it with underwater images. But I would still like to include the most accurate descriptions of the sites (depth, amount of relief, intact or broken up, orientation, etc.). While I have worked to improve my coordinate database and ferret out phantom numbers, I expect a few bogus numbers remain. Lastly, while I have amassed a pretty extensive photo library, there are many sites I have not gotten quality images from. So, if you would like to help, this is what I am looking for:

1. Current shipwreck and artificial reef descriptions. I plan on including all major artificial reefs (e.g., vessels > 100 feet in length, excluding barges). If you would like to pass on your observations on a particular wreck, please send them my way. Basic parameters mentioned above as well as specific points of interest on the wreck would be appreciated.
2. Underwater photos. If you have any quality high-resolution images you would like to submit for consideration of publication, please send them my way. Published photos will be properly credited to each photographer, and if your photograph is published you will get a free copy of the published book.
3. Eradication of bogus coordinates. If you have a copy of my old book and know of any coordinates that are bogus or slightly off, I would greatly appreciate a heads-up or potential correction. I have spent a considerable amount of time already in improving the database. For example, many of the old artificial reef coordinates listed on the FFWCC website in certain counties are notoriously wrong, which stems from poor LORAN conversions (i.e., for early deployments in the 1970s and 1980s), the impact of hurricanes (e.g., Hurricane Andrew), and/or simple typographical error. I have already addressed a lot of that in my database for certain areas of the state. But, if you know a particular number is wrong or off, or have a dead-solid number and care to help me improve the database, please send the information in. PLEASE NOTE: I am not asking for private numbers. I simply want to get rid of bogus numbers and correct bad numbers for “public” sites. We all know how expensive fuel is getting, and many of us have spent lots of time on wild goose chases due to bad numbers that keep getting passed on. Anyway, if you want to help out, your assistance would be appreciated.

Submissions can be e-mailed directly to me (i.e., off-list) at: barney00@tampabay.rr.com

Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Mike

I'll take the first "public " copy of each volume, perferably signed. How soon can I expect them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom