new fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ed241

New
Reaction score
Hi
I am looking to get some new fins and I was thinking either Apollo Bio-Fin Pro or Mares Volo Power.
I will be using them for snorkling as well as diving.
I could use any help
Thanks
Ed

ed241:
I am looking to get some new fins and I was thinking either Apollo Bio-Fin Pro or Mares Volo Power.
Ed

Why these two fin choices?

Might want to take a look at scubapro Jets. They are one of the favourites among many of us here.

He's right you know, When I wanted to buy the Mares Volo because i thought they looked cool and i love mares ! people told me not to buy them at any cost. they are rather flimsy and tend to rip easily.

Go for the basic Jetfins or if you are looking for more relaxed type of fins try the TwinJets

bottom line is that the Volo model is the one i suggest you avoid...

I was actually in the exact same boat about 2 months ago. I read some good things about the Volo Powers and I also read quite of few posts regarding how delicate the fins are. My other pair of fins is the Tusa Xpert Zoom, so I figured I'd try something a little different and I'm also apparently a big fan of learning things the hard way.

After 2 months, the verdict is in. My Volos are already coming apart after less than 10 dives. The rubber is ripping away from the plastic and the plastic is severely scratched up. I have had 3 times the number of dives in my Zooms in similar conditions and they still look new whereas my Volos have holes in them! It seems to me that the Volos use a much softer plastic and also that the attachment points between the rubber and plastic is exceptionally weak.

I will say that performance wise, I REALLY liked the Volos, but paying upwards of $160 for disposable fins is absolutely unacceptable in my opinion. I know that one of the instructers at my LDS uses the Apollo Bio Fins and loves them. She has had them for years and they are still in excellent shape.

I plan on contacting Mares about this, but I'm seriously considering cutting my losses with the Volos and going with the Bio Fins. If you're deciding between those two (there are lots of other great fins), I would have to agree with Gt1Street and very strongly suggest you go with the Bio Fins.

If you are looking for a less expensive option, I can tell you that I love the Zooms, but I think that the Bio Fins may perform a bit better. Also, because of the bend in the Zooms, they are dreadful on the surface. So if you're looking for a fin that you can snorkel with too I wouldn't recommend them.

And what fin post wouldn't be complete with the disclaimer that it's really a matter of personal preference. What works well for one person may not work for you and the only way to really decide is to see for yourself. Cheers

Apollo, but they are not the best snorkle fin...they work, but not as well.

Get springs also...

BTW I just remembered that my instructor was using Mares Volos, and once when I grabed him by the fin to get he's attention he yeld at me that it might fall apart :/

Okay, that last post was just too funny. I have to chime in.

I did have the (dis)pleasure of trying on a pair of the Volo Power, and well, they never left the kitchen. They were loaners, luckily, so I got to try them while sitting comfortably on a stool. The frustration of trying to snap and unsnap the spring straps was enough. Another offered pair had the same problem. I then visited the nearest Sport Chalet in case these two pairs were duds and found out the store ones were similar. I put on a pair of gloves to protect my hands, but after a couple of flips, my fingers were raging red and quite pained. Then a search on Scubaboard revealed these fins have that kind of reputation. The general advice, if you owned these and experienced this problem but didn't want to "get used to" them, was to immediately replace the straps/buckles with those by other makers.

It's a little mind-boggling to me how the most expensive fins in the store can have so many repeat problems. (Okay, I have some guesses. Hopefully, Mares will be able to improve on the next batch.) I have a feeling, though, you'll be looking at other products. :) Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom