New Fins...any way to make them more bouyant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear lord I wish I had your problem! I've been thinking about purchasing a set of ankle weights because I can't for the life of me keep my feet down! I'm pretty much horizontal when I'm underwater, but at the surface when my BC is inflated my feet and fins pop up like a balloon and I drift away! I spend more effort trying to keep my head up and feet down that I'm exhausted by the time I'm ready to go under!
I'd say if you're really concerned about your fins not being bouyant enough sell 'em and buy a different pair, I think thats about all you can do.

Hemlon:
I bought new fins recently and they are a bit less bouyant than my previous fins.

I really like to think that I'm enviro-friendly so I would like to make them more bouyant so that I'm not trashing the reef when I blue-water dive. Sigh...dreaming about blue water.

But I digress...

So, is there any way to make them more bouyant? Does any company make a float that attaches to the fin or strap?

PS- I thought about just wrapping the strap with some neoprene but compression at depth would cancel the positive bouyancy effect.

Tie a SMB to each foot. It will help float your feet as well as make it easy to find you. :wink:

ScubaBeez:
Dear lord I wish I had your problem! I've been thinking about purchasing a set of ankle weights because I can't for the life of me keep my feet down! I'm pretty much horizontal when I'm underwater, but at the surface when my BC is inflated my feet and fins pop up like a balloon and I drift away! I spend more effort trying to keep my head up and feet down that I'm exhausted by the time I'm ready to go under!
I'd say if you're really concerned about your fins not being bouyant enough sell 'em and buy a different pair, I think thats about all you can do.

You've got a trim problem. You need to move your tank down and experiment with alternative weight placement. You don't have to descend feet first either. Ascend in a horizontal position instead.

As has been said each piece of gear, no matter how unimportant it seems can and will effect trim.

So, what I do is remember what combinations work for good trim and use them when I dive that combination. Logs are useful to make notations when you're working on trim or other issues. My early logs are full of various attempts to get trimmed out and what did and did not work. If you can work on it in a local pool and get it right, the bottom makes a good reference point to work off of. Or the local quarry and it's platform which many seem to have.

As some said, new gears will definitely affect your trim. You might need to find a different way in distributing the weights to adjust your trim. Boot thickness, tank position, and trim weight pockets on tank straps (as suggested) are ways you can look into.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom