New Features at Mansfield

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mack Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In another thread, people are lamenting the price increase at Barstow's Windy Point park. As part of that thread, several folks are talking about spending more of their dive time at Mansfield or Bob Wentz parks.

There are several items of interest at Mansfield. Boats, a toilet, airplane, even a monument to a former dive shop owner. :confused: However, there is always room for improvement. The platforms especially are in need of repair.

Is there anything you can think of that would be fun to add to the park? Let's try to stay realistic on this. I know it would be cool to have a house boat sunk there, but we would need to get the houseboat :D

Maybe we can all pitch in and add some underwater features that will make diving at Mansfield all the more interesting. I'm willing to help with labor and what other meger resources I might have available.

I know there was talk about raising one of the houseboats from the old SCUBA park around from WP and towing it to Mansfield and sinking it, but the mastermind has fallen off the face of the earth. I think fixing up the platforms, and making some deeper features would be quite nice. Another thing that's needed is either a decent map OR to rerun all the cables for the shallower features.

I think fixing up the platforms, and making some deeper features would be quite nice. Another thing that's needed is either a decent map OR to rerun all the cables for the shallower features.

I'd certainly be happy to help rerun cables/lines to the main features. After that a decent map would be terrific. I hear rumors of someone keeping the map updated, but I've not seen one online that is thorough.

The platforms could be easily fixed up too. There are at least a couple that have aluminum decking. They all need repair, but most of the decking is either on the platform still or in the immediate area.

Generally I dont much care for artificial "attractions" at Dive Sites. More than happy to lend a hand fixing up the platforms if y'all need help though.

I did like the tunnel at Barstows though.Maybe some sort of bouyancy course would be good? Tunnel, horizontal restriction,vertical rift. Idea is to swim through it without touching anything. The objects would need to be short so as to be swimthrus as opposed to overheads.

How about setting up some lines for cave practice? Gold line,arrows marking jumps to a secondary line,that sort of thing. Might be useful.

Chris and I have talked of designing an underwater labyrinth. If you can't find your way out (or are a cheater!) just ascend. I think it could be done safely incorporating some of Ian's tunnels (vertical and horizontal). Call it an advanced navigation course.

According to the pdf for the park, the scuba area includes a buoyancy course, but the map does not appear very accurate. I have seen some pvc assemblies out there that could have been part of a bouyancy course if properly set up.

Attachments

• MansfieldFlier.pdf
    325.5 KB · Views: 82
A Buoyancy course would be great for the shallower area. Set it up in about the 35 - 45 range. We could add some hoops like at Aquarena. I also like the idea of swim throughs. The maze sounds like fun, but quite a bit of work unless it was just built with lines.

The house boat would be a great addition and would allow a better object for instructors to teach wreck diving.

So, how do we fix the platforms? Should we repair in place or float them to shore for the repairs?

A Buoyancy course would be great for the shallower area. Set it up in about the 35 - 45 range. We could add some hoops like at Aquarena. I also like the idea of swim throughs. The maze sounds like fun, but quite a bit of work unless it was just built with lines.

The house boat would be a great addition and would allow a better object for instructors to teach wreck diving.

So, how do we fix the platforms? Should we repair in place or float them to shore for the repairs?

I would say an evaluation dive is in order, locate and survey each platform to evaluate extent of repairs needed, maybe some photodocumentation if vis is above 5' :wink: and if work can be reasonably done in place, then do so.

However, those with nice 50# lift bags needing to be wet might have some good reasons why we need to float them all and repair on shore that I have overlooked:D

Back
Top Bottom