New Fast-Attack Nuclear Submarines to be Named Arizona and Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing I expect really bites is that those boats have five separate internal pressure hulls - two parallel main hulls and then three smaller ones containing the torpedo room, control center, and steering gear - and the rest of that interior volume is free-flooding, including the space around the missile tubes. Keeping corrosion under control has to be a pain.

Back to Australian nuclear sub plans ... Australian commanders to have complete control over nuclear submarines and reactors

Are the French still pissed off about this?
Who cares, I am told they are "over it'.
They'll be waiting a decade for them too.
Correct , Todays news: Australia’s nuclear submarine program will cost up to $368 billion over the next three decades.
If I live to see the first one.

Who cares, I am told they are "over it'.

Correct , Todays news: Australia’s nuclear submarine program will cost up to $368 billion over the next three decades.
If I live to see the first one.
Let's see if the Australian people have the patience to wait a decade on a sub that is pushing its second in service while training on subs that are pushing their fifth in the lifespan.

Let's see if the Australian people have the patience to wait a decade on a sub
A good friend and x submariner of over 25 years said " should have been started over 30 years ago", he was on the Oberon class and the Collins class of subs, should have happened when they were looking at replacing the Oberon boats.

I was never a submariner, I only ever dived under them when they were alongside when the sub base was in Neutral Bay Sydney [posted there for 2 years], did a one day cruise on one and stunk of diesel, hard to remove that smell from your uniform I found.

A good friend and x submariner of over 25 years said " should have been started over 30 years ago", he was on the Oberon class and the Collins class of subs, should have happened when they were looking at replacing the Oberon boats.

I was never a submariner, I only ever dived under them when they were alongside when the sub base was in Neutral Bay Sydney [posted there for 2 years], did a one day cruise on one and stunk of diesel, hard to remove that smell from your uniform I found.
Spent a weekend aboard a long decommissioned Gato Class for Boy Scouts. My uniform shirt still reeks of that nasty fuel.

Plan is in the interim (i.e. after 2030) the US will supply Australia with three Virginia-class SSNs. In the longer term, the next-gen British SSN will be designed with at least some US systems and will equip both the RN and RAN starting in the late 2030s/early 2040s.

Spent a weekend aboard a long decommissioned Gato Class for Boy Scouts. My uniform shirt still reeks of that nasty fuel.
did a one day cruise on one and stunk of diesel, hard to remove that smell from your uniform I found.

All submariners carry a stench. They are proud of it.

Back
Top Bottom