New Fast-Attack Nuclear Submarines to be Named Arizona and Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't dive with damaged ballast tanks

If it's dented but sound, restrict depth and go, As for a surface transit, I don't care for the smell. I hated the run from Charleston to the 100 fathom curve, it was a seasickness test.

As for the sea mount issue, I wonder how they would have avoided it without using active sonar? If it was uncharted or poorly charted its quite possible that the sub slammed into a pretty steep mound and not a gently sloped hill

Preventable collision means it was on the chart, and it should have been given a wider berth. Since there are lot of officers waiting for advancement and command, removing one for a technicality not only opens a command spot, but also takes one out of the running for a star.

I wouldn't dive with damaged ballast tanks. I'd send that floating drydock ship and cover her under tarps and take a southern route back home.

As for the sea mount issue, I wonder how they would have avoided it without using active sonar? If it was uncharted or poorly charted its quite possible that the sub slammed into a pretty steep mound and not a gently sloped hill. We publicize our f@#kups, the other powers not so much. I'm sure there are Russian submariner jokes out there that are unknown in the west:rofl3:
There are a few in here - Russian jokes - Wikipedia
  • A Chukcha sits on the shore of the Bering Strait. An American submarine surfaces. The American captain opens the hatch and asks: "Which way is Alaska?" The Chukcha points his finger: "That way!" / "Thanks!" says the American, shouts "South-South-East, bearing 159.5 degrees!" down the hatch and the submarine submerges. Ten minutes later, a Soviet submarine emerges. The Russian captain opens the hatch and asks the Chukcha: "Where did the American submarine go?" The Chukcha replies: "South-South-East bearing 159.5 degrees!" "Don't be a smart-ass", says the captain, "just point your finger!"
As far as publicizing screwups, the former commander of the Russian Northern Fleet recently gave an interview to Sputnik claiming the Kursk was lost back in 2000 because it collided with a NATO sub, which is ridiculous. If a ~7,000-ton single-hull 688 smacked into a ~19,000-ton double-hull Project 949A SSGN hard enough to sink the latter and set off seismographs, there wouldn't be any questions - the 688 would be a crumpled beer can on the bottom next to the Kursk. Of course, there's also the fact that the admiral in question was cashiered not long after that disaster ... apparently admitting your command was using shoddy, volatile torpedoes with inadequate training is a hard thing to do.

There's also this one from the history books: Soviet submarine S-363 - Wikipedia

As far as publicizing screwups, the former commander of the Russian Northern Fleet recently gave an interview to Sputnik claiming the Kursk was lost back in 2000 because it collided with a NATO sub, which is ridiculous. If a ~7,000-ton single-hull 688 smacked into a ~19,000-ton double-hull Project 949A SSGN hard enough to sink the latter and set off seismographs, there wouldn't be any questions - the 688 would be a crumpled beer can on the bottom next to the Kursk. Of course, there's also the fact that the admiral in question was cashiered not long after that disaster ... apparently admitting your command was using shoddy, volatile torpedoes with inadequate training is a hard thing to do.
I believe the Kursk disaster was the turning point in the post Soviet navy. I remember family members screaming at a table full of admirals and they had never been exposed to the wrath of the public before (or since). If it was the Soviet Union I'm sure those family members would have been far more careful with their words. Ever since then their navy has improved and like the bad old days, criticism and information is silenced.

Interesting. I have filmed thousands of sonobuoy drops from P-8, hand drops, helo drops, boat drops, etc.

That isn’t my video.

Interesting. I have filmed thousands of sonobuoy drops from P-8, hand drops, helo drops, boat drops, etc.

That isn’t my video.
Post some!

I believe the Kursk disaster was the turning point in the post Soviet navy. I remember family members screaming at a table full of admirals and they had never been exposed to the wrath of the public before (or since). If it was the Soviet Union I'm sure those family members would have been far more careful with their words. Ever since then their navy has improved and like the bad old days, criticism and information is silenced.
There was that rather infamous episode where one of the family members got in Putin's face afterwards and someone "helpfully" gave her a sedative shot on the spot; there were also attacks directed at the Russian media for their reporting.

That isn’t my video.
Well, it's a P-3 making the drop; to my knowledge they're still flying with only a few reserve squadrons. There's a timestamp on the footage but no date; video quality looks a bit dated.

There was that rather infamous episode where one of the family members got in Putin's face afterwards and someone "helpfully" gave her a sedative shot on the spot; there were also attacks directed at the Russian media for their reporting.

Well, it's a P-3 making the drop; to my knowledge they're still flying with only a few reserve squadrons. There's a timestamp on the footage but no date; video quality looks a bit dated.
I have only observed drops from P-8s, never P-3’s.

I don’t own them. They were experimental, and are still classified.

When I was in ROTC we did a ride on a P3 and got to play with some MAD equipment over Lake Erie. It picked up a few of the steel shipwrecks. They didn't allow us to have our camera phones on-board but they allow a bunch of us high schoolers up there witnessing classified procedures...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom