New Faber 100's - Questions ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jduncan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just purchased a pair of Faber steel HP100's. They are unused, but stamped 2004 on the hydro, so I got a decent deal on them. The dive shop says they can be filled to about 3500 psi. They also said that I can use my yolk fitting on my first stage without any issues, although they said after 3300 psi, it's recommended to go to DIN. They said with a fill to 3500, after cooling it will be close to 3300.

Genesis makes an adapter for about 50 bucks to convert my first stage from yolk to DIN. I just need to remove the screw in the tank valve.

My questions are: Can I use my yolk fitting on these HP tanks? Why or why not?

Are there first stages available that are factory designed for HP use without adapters?

P.S. We also have a pair of new Faber HP80's coming for Lisa next week.

I have HP100's rated for 3442 probably just like yours. I currently use yoke fittings but plan to convert to DIN. Many first stages are factory designed for DIN as a matter of fact lots of first stages can take a yoke or DIN fitting.

Is the Genesis part an adapter or a conversion kit. Lots of kits remove the yoke fitting and replace it with a DIN fitting.

The tanks are stamped 3180 and are designated with the "+" which would give me 3498 psi.

Okay so the question is - why convert/adapt if it works the way it is? I think that my first stage is stamped 3500 psi.

The Genesis kit I was referring to is an adapter - it looks like it replaces the threaded fitting in the first stage. The tank valves have the screw out center for a DIN first stage.

Since you have the convertible valve your Fabers are the psuedo high pressure cylinders rated for 3442 PSI. This is just a few atmospheres below the 3500 PSI DIN requirement. This means you can use your yoke, if you want to.

That being said a DIN connector is more secure an prefered for use over 3000 PSI. We dive 3442 and 3500 steels and went DIN from day one.

Almost all regulators allow you change your connection type for about $50.

Pete

spectrum:
Since you have the convertible valve your Fabers are the psuedo high pressure cylinders rated for 3442 PSI. This is just a few atmospheres below the 3500 PSI DIN requirement. This means you can use your yoke, if you want to.

That being said a DIN connector is more secure an prefered for use over 3000 PSI. We dive 3442 and 3500 steels and went DIN from day one.

Almost all regulators allow you change your connection type for about $50.

Pete

Okay, so even though the tank is stamped 3180 + 10% = 3498, It's actually rated for 3442 because of the valve? Sorry for all the questions - this is new ground for me.

jduncan:
Okay, so even though the tank is stamped 3180 + 10% = 3498, It's actually rated for 3442 because of the valve? Sorry for all the questions - this is new ground for me.

I wouldnt worry about it to much, even if that is the case youd be talking about 56psi overfill, not really something to stress about.

I deal with those same Faber Hp100's at the shop I'm working with. Fill em 3500, don't worry about the 3442 or 3498 BS, its all 3500 PSI in the end. You can use your yoke with the insert in the valve, but I would suggest you just convert your reg to DIN and be done with it. It's much more secure, and I know some of the valves our Faber's showed up with had a square profile, and not a tapered profile from the top view, like a regular yoke would have. This square shape cause problems with some yokes trying to get over top of them.

Your reg should handle 3500psi just fine. The reason you might want to switch to a DIN reg (or have a shop convert your current reg to DIN) is the tank o-ring on a yoke valve is more prone to extrude at pressures above 3300psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom