New Faber 100's - Questions ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a new Faber HP100 and I took the Din valve off and put a yoke on it. The only thing that the shop that I had it filled at for the first time was to change out the burst disk to one with a higher pressure rating. Which I did...

Thanks everyone. Got it now. As far as the burst disk - I would assume it's rated properly for the 3500 psi tank right? Is there a way to tell ?

I ordered a couple Genesis DIN adapters tonight.

J

If it's the stock valve that came on the tank, the burst disk should be the right one. I think Jen only mentioned that because she swapped the valve to one that wasn't stock. Yours should be fine.

Packhorse:
I know nothing about HP vs LP tanks (just about all tanks here are 207 - 240bar unless really old and there is no such thing as a + rating). But i did hear on this site that the + rating does not apply to HP tanks. How does this affect your "HP" tanks?

Well, I suppose it depends what you consider HP. A previous poster on this thread called them psudo high pressure - so maybe they aren't as high as actual HP tanks - but they are 3500. Also, I don't think faber makes a LP100 - I couldn't find it. When i started looking around on the net to see what I had - all I could find was HP100 with the same specs as what I have. So, who knows....

They're sometimes referred to as "psuedo" HP because "true" HP tanks, that REQUIRE a DIN valve, are rated to 3500 psi. By purposely rating the tanks to 3442 or 3498, just under the limit, manufacturers skirt the rules and are able to put the convertible yoke/DIN valves on instead.

Old PST HP tanks were true 3500 psi tanks and came DIN-only. Ditto for the Asahi spun tanks you'll see at Sport Chalet and some other places around for cheap (cheap for reasons unrelated to 3500psi rating). All the newer tanks are just under 3500... it's rare to find new 3500psi tanks anymore.

xiSkiGuy:
Your reg should handle 3500psi just fine. The reason you might want to switch to a DIN reg (or have a shop convert your current reg to DIN) is the tank o-ring on a yoke valve is more prone to extrude at pressures above 3300psi.
Boy, do you have that correct... got tired of the issue and switched to din.....

SCUBAJENNIFER:
I got a new Faber HP100 and I took the Din valve off and put a yoke on it. The only thing that the shop that I had it filled at for the first time was to change out the burst disk to one with a higher pressure rating. Which I did...
Jenn, you have the FX, not the HP... different tanks, but same rules apply:

Faber FX-100 3442 100 7.24 Triple 25.39 34.3 -0.59 -8.41
Faber HP-100 3180 +10% 100 7.25 Triple 24.01 38.7 -7.26 -14.76

Puffer Fish:
Jenn, you have the FX, not the HP... different tanks, but same rules apply:

Faber FX-100 3442 100 7.24 Triple 25.39 34.3 -0.59 -8.41
Faber HP-100 3180 +10% 100 7.25 Triple 24.01 38.7 -7.26 -14.76

What do those numbers mean? (I get some of them) Is that -14.76 pounds full? Wow. no wonder the darn thing seems so heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom