New Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capt. dave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, a new diver in search of HONEST answers on equipment. I am a US Coast Guard capt. (50 gross tons). I am looking for diving packages to review, so I am looking on opinions on the best gear. I plan on diving in the cooler water in NY (1000 Islands etc.) and some warmer trips. I was advised that Scuba Pro is good, Oceanic and Areis are related somehow and not that great. So, I am looking for higher end equipment that will last for at least awhile. I appreciate ALL responses and help you provide.

Oceanic and aeris are owned by the same guy and have similar product lines. I think they have some top of the line regs, and especially computers. I am one of their dealers, but I carry them because I like them, not the other way around. I also carry dive rite. I like the dive rite duo wrist computer alot. It is a great computer that will do two gasses that can get you into tech diving if your diving career eventually goes that way. The aeris computer I like is some of their air integrated computers. They are pretty slick. Dive rite has some great regs well. I like backplates and wings as far as bc's go.

What sort of diving do you do? What do you want to do? Scuba pro equipment is very good as well. They don't allow net sales so alot of dive shops don't carry them any more. I think aeris is just as good as any of the top of the line brands. There are a few reg companies I would probably stay away from but I would feel confident with aeris, dive rite, apeks, zeagle, genesis, sherwood, poseidon, and a variety of other ones that I can't think off of the top of my head. If I can help you or answer any questions let me know. I will give you a straight answer regardless of what brand you are interested in.

Brent

Scuba pro is a great line but lots of shops have quit carrying them because of their not allowing online sales. I carry aeris and like them a good bit. They are very much a top of the line company. I would look for something your local shop can service if you have a shop you like local.

I sell aeris, dive rite, xs scuba, oms, and a handful of other companies products. I don't carry regs from all of those listed, but the first part of the list make great regs. Dive rites are looking really good and I just ordered a new hurricane for myself.

The aeris computers look really good and their air integration computers are really slick. I also like the dive rite duo alot. It is a computer with lots of growth potential if you ever get into tech diving.

If I can help you out in anyway by answering questions let me know. I made some mistakes as a new diver and wasted some money. Would love to help others prevent the mistakes I did. Buy from someone local if you can but ask others if they are giving you good advice before you follow it.

Let me know if I can help.

Brent

Ok I thought I lost the first post and retyped it, then it showed up. Anyway let me know if I can help.

Brent

capt. Dave:
OK, a new diver in search of HONEST answers on equipment. I am a US Coast Guard capt. (50 gross tons). I am looking for diving packages to review, so I am looking on opinions on the best gear. I plan on diving in the cooler water in NY (1000 Islands etc.) and some warmer trips. I was advised that Scuba Pro is good, Oceanic and Aeris are related somehow and not that great. So, I am looking for higher end equipment that will last for at least awhile. I appreciate ALL responses and help you provide.

You could also look at Atomic regulators. They are very well made and require servicing every 2 years or 300 dives instead of every year.

I own two Atomic B2 regulators (one for me and one for my wife). They breath as easy at 105 FSW as they do at 30 FSW.

The second stage also has a swivel on the hose which tends to reduce the potential for jaw fatigue in some divers.

I develop software for a living so I don't have any vested interest in any dive manufacturers.

I use an Aeris ATMOS AI for the dive computer.

:popcorn::popcorn: this ought to be interesting. Be fore warned that this thread could get ugly.

Let see if I can get a few out of the way.

Scuba Pro, back plate and wing, Zeagle, Apex, Dive Rite, and call Scubatoys and talk to them. I'm sure I missed a few but that will save a couple hundred posts. :D

Personally I dive Zeagle regs and the Brigade BC, Aeris XR1 and Atmos 2 computer. Buy what you can afford!!

capt. dave:
OK, a new diver in search of HONEST answers on equipment. I am a US Coast Guard capt. (50 gross tons). I am looking for diving packages to review, so I am looking on opinions on the best gear. I plan on diving in the cooler water in NY (1000 Islands etc.) and some warmer trips. I was advised that Scuba Pro is good, Oceanic and Areis are related somehow and not that great. So, I am looking for higher end equipment that will last for at least awhile. I appreciate ALL responses and help you provide.

I would just buy the items you want individually, rather than in a ready made package. Here are my preferences, though I'd suggest you search the board for more feedback and don't buy anything without searching for reviews of it first.

Fins: Scubapro Jetfins with spring straps, you can get a used pair cheap off ebay. (Split fins are good for flutter, but not as good for frog- and backkicks so I sold mine.)

Regs: many good brands, just make sure you can get it serviced locally or service it yourself. I use Dive-Rite and Salvo regs which I've been very happy with, but I see Atomics, Apeks and Scubapro recommended more often. I prefer cold water cable (environmentally sealed) DIN regs with balanced second stage for primary. Also, I prefer to have long hose (7ft) - short hose (22") setup for primary and backup, respectively. For SPG I just use a small brass/glass SPG (Salvo and DIR Zone are good)
on a 24" HP hose. (A member here. Soggy, has or had a good deas on them)

BCD: Search for backplate and wing. And glue-on thigh pockets or x-shorts to go with it.

Computer: A lot of very experienced divers only use a bottom timer, or a lower end computer in gauge mode. There are some really nice ones out there though. I'd say make sure to get one with a gauge mode, user-replaceable batteries and dive recording (with a cable to upload the dives if necessary). I also prefer wrist units with a liberal algorithm (like Oceanic/Aeris), though now I just use the gauge mode so it doesn't matter. Beyond that you can get ones that do nitrox, multiple gases, trimix, wireless pressure reading, rebreather interface, and so forth, but the price goes up with additional features. I'd start with a simple computer first like the Aeris Atmos 2 (see special at Scubatoys.com or diversdirect.com), which you can then convert into a backup if you later decide to get a more sophisticated computer.

Mask and wetsuit: Fit is most important.
Snrokel: Unnecessary, but if you get one then buy ones that's cheap with no gimmicks. Maybe a simple J that you can roll up into a pocket.

Drysuit: I'm not an expert on drysuits, but it seems like this is a personal preference thing. Some prefer trilam, others prefer neoprene or crushed neoprene, and people also disagree about what type of seals (latex or neoprene) and dump valves location (shoulder or cuff) and zipper (front or back) is best.

For cold weather diving, it is nice to have an environmentally sealed first stage. Not mandatory, but many prefer that. Most all the Aeris and Oceanic ones are sealed, so they would be an option.

And in Syracuse... it gets a bit cold! I'm originally from upstate NY area - my brother still lives there. I lived in Syracuse, Plattsburg, relatives in Gowanda (outside buffalo), Watertown, etc. I haven't done much diving in that area as I ran to the warmer climes of Texas, but I've been in enough water up there to know that I would choose environmentally sealed, or some other good cold water reg like a Mares Ice.

I'm not sure how much stuff you're looking for info on based on your original post... Regs?? Or everything head to to.. fins, etc.

Give a shout if we can help!

capt. dave:
First, welcome to ScubaBoard.

Second, all our answers are HONEST. Some are objective, some are subjective, and some are very subjective, but 99% of them are honest.

Third, there is no best gear. There is only 'best' relative to you and your situation.

Environmental considerations such as where you intend to have your regulators serviced and by whom, (and what regulators that shop/technician is certified to work on and has parts and tools for,) should factor highly into your decision-making. You can buy regulators online, but it is a bit more difficult to have them serviced online. (But you can indeed box them up and ship them off to someone for servicing once each year, if this is your cup of tea...)

All else being equal, it is often handy to have a productive working relationship with a local area dive shop, and "productive working relationships" are not established on air fills alone.

ScubaPro is a top line manufacturer, I dive SPs myself. But both Zeagle and Oceanic make fine regs as well, as do Atomic, Apeks, and many others. No one really turns out crap, because it isn't that much more difficult to turn out quite decent products. Besides, liability issues and the facts that it is a relatively small market and word of mouth gets around would soon drive a manufacturer turning out crap to go into some other line of business.

That said, it is true you get what you pay for. Some regulators sell for $300. Some sell for more than $700. There is generally a reason why this difference exists. (If for some bizarre reason you desire to drop serious ching on titanium, you can find regulators for more than $1500...but we digress.) Sherwood, for example, makes very decent regulators that generally sell on the low end of the scale. I own five Sherwood Blizzards. At 200 fsw and below they do not breath anywhere near as nicely as ScubaPro regulators that cost twice as much. OTOH, they weren't designed to be taken below 200 fsw - they were designed as a very easy-maintenance lower-priced product that would work fine as an entry level recreational regulator, particularly for students and rental gear lockers. They shine in this role.

It is a question of what you are looking for, where you're located, what sort of diving you're doing and where, and what you're willing to pay for it.

Finally, there are over 4 years of archives on this precise topic. If you spend some time going back through older threads there are some fascinating posts, often from techs or guys who memorize intermediate pressure settings for diversion, that you may find beneficial. Control bar top of the thread, fourth button from the right, click on it then on "advanced search" and enter names of reg manufacturers to get lists of similar threads. [Check the dates of the threads before posting. For example, down at the bottom of this thread are a half-dozen "Similar Threads" already listed for you. The oldest is from 2002. If you read it, then post to the end of it without checking the date, you are then resurrecting an old thread which was last posted to in 2002...which is frowned on! :wink: ]

Best of luck with finding a reg that meets your needs,

Doc

ok, I hevent had my coffee so Ill jump in becuase I dont know better yet this morning.
Exposure suit, Drysuit! I dive a DUI trilam. Just saw an Andys drysuit with some really well thought out details...
BC: Backplate with wings. Generally a plate is a plate as far as brand and youll need to do the math to figure wich wing you need. Buy this one bc and only buy one, no need to upgrade later.
Regs: Im not a fan of oceanic/aeris but there is nothing wrong with them. I dive Scubapro (free parts for life on anual service) and Apeks. I was very impressed with Atomics when I recently took their rebuild class. Only negative about Atomics is that you use a lot of very expensive O2 greese to environmentaly seal it. Most any reg on the market will do you just fine!
Tank: I preffer hot dipped galvanized such as PST or Worthington. Fit and finish on PST is far superior to Worthington. Ive ween the W tanks with sags in their finish and bare spots around the neck
Snorkle: not for me but hey... get one that you can fold up into thirds and stick in your pocket
Mask: fit is king! I prefer frameless suck as the scubapro, but atomics has some real nice masks.
Fins: used to use Atomics splits, but they wont fit my size 16 feet in drysuit boots so I switched to Turtles (similar to SP Jets) Im really starting to like them better than the splits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom