NEW EQUIPMENT! XTX200, egress octo....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deerhunter1911a1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Howdy all, just got my very first full set of equipment. I bought the Apeks XTX200 and had the shop install the swivel on the first stage. I coupled this with an Apeks Egress octopus, and a DiveRite brass spg. I dive a Suunto Vytec DS computer, and so just wanted an SPG until i get the transmitter for it. Anyway, I have been diving the Apeks XTX50 and cannot wait to try the new stuff out! I'm going out this weekend for a two-day quarry trip to put it through its paces. I'll be back and let everyone know how it did!

I bought the Apeks XTX200 and had the shop install the swivel on the first stage.
Great reg. You will like it!
I dive a Suunto Vytec DS computer, and so just wanted an SPG until i get the transmitter for it.
Then, you can easily slide right into the debate of 'wireless-only', vs 'wireless with SPG back-up', and enjoy a nearly endless stream of posts on that topic. What the heck, go ahead and do a search now, and start reading.:wink:

This is a nice set up & you should get many years of use out of them. I'v used the same set up for the last 6 years.

The swivel; if you must use it, check the grub screw that holds the two sections together is tight enough before every dive. About 2 years ago I deep sixed mine. Nothing worse than having the swivels O ring extrude while diving. Mine went on my 1st deco dive, my fault for not checking it before the dive, but if it's not a part of the kit it can't be forgotten.

YES! OKAY! I just got back...um...20 minutes ago from a weekend of diving with the new rig. i managed 6 dives, including 4 to over 100ft. The XTX200 is a DREAM. No free flows or incidents to report and it breathes easier that i can describe. its like i think breath, and its already in my lungs. amazing. i had been diving an XTX50 and thought it couldn't get much better...it could be in my head, but YES! The egress, i didnt manage to breathe real deep, but i tried it out at 50 ft and it wasnt nearly as easy to breathe as the XTX200, but it wasn't hard by any stretch of the imagination. no issues with that. the spg was great, in that it has ticks every 100 psi instead of every 200 psi, which made it really easy to read, no leaks, and everything worked great.

anyone looking for a new reg should look at the XTX200, SOOO worth the money. i am a super satisfied customer.

(anyone from APEKS around to gimme a shirt or something :wink:)

I dive the XTX200 on my single tank rig and the XTX50's that came in the Apeks tek3 pac for my dbl's.

The mouthpiece is good on those regs, but after adding the seaCURE these regs are almost like breathing out of water.

I doubt I could tell the difference in breathing between my 50's & 200's in a double blind test.

Nice combination; that's what I went with as well. I've been happy with them in my relatively few dives.

I doubt I could tell the difference in breathing between my 50's & 200's in a double blind test.

You're probably right - AFAIK they're identical, except for the design of the front cover :D

Henrik

I doubt I could tell the difference in breathing between my 50's & 200's in a double blind test

According to the Apeks tech info, the 'total work of breathing' varies as follows:

XTX200: 0.41 joules/litre

XTX100: 0.53 j/l

XTX50: 0.65 j/l

XTX40: 0.85 j/l

XTX20: 0.96 j/l

(I haven't seen any figures for the Egress, although I have read that it can breath wet when inverted)

Whether this would be a noticeable difference in the water, IDK - never done back to back tests

These differences may be due to the different 'paired' first stages (UST/DST/FSR/FST) that come standard with each secondary - but then I don't see why the 40 and 50 would be different, since they share the DST first

Anyway, that was part of the reason why I decided to go with the XTX200 (why not get an easier breathe), in additon to the smaller first stage with replaceable ARCAP valve seat (he says, reading from the brochure)

If anyone knows the answer, I'd be interested to hear it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom