New Equipment Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mhall434

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good Afternoon, I am new to the scuba diving world. I have completed my open water, advanced open water, and nitrox corses. I have over forty completed dives and am looking to buy my own equipment. I have always rented my equipment to complete coruses and do a little free diving. I currently own Scubapro mask, fins, and Gulidepro BCD with Air2. I am looking to purchase a regulator and diving computer. I belive I want a console type computer. What are your thoughts and recommendations moving forward. Thanks for your time.

As far as regulators go, buy a brand name that can be serviced locally. If there are any local shops that sell HOG or EDGE regulators they are relatively inexpensive specially the EDGE line. HOG regs are starting to creep up in price, but are still a good value.

There's an add here on SB for a Hollis reg for $200 that's a bargain. There are also a couple of shops that advertise here on SB which you can mail your regs to be serviced, but I have never used them so I can speak of their turn around time etc. I prefer to deal locally when it comes to my regs.

Is there a reason why you prefer a computer console over let's say a wrist mounted computer or a computer on a retractor, a wrist mounted compass and a small pressure gauge?

Depending on the configuration of the computer console they can be very big and bulky, but if you're set on a console I would look for the smallest possible.
As far as the computer goes, if you have a regular dive buddy you may want to dive the same type and would recommend a computer with user replaceable batteries.

Thanks I have never used a wrist mounted computer. I am open to any suggestions. I have been reseaching the Oceanic Pro plus 3 which is a console. I am not opposed to a wrist computer. Thank for the help

Since you seem to like ScubaPro, there was a good deal on a Mk25/S600 recently. Can't go wrong with that one. I almost bought one before going Atomic.

Or the new Mk21/S560 - too new to have been reviewed a lot yet.

Casey (beaverdivers) is a Platinum dealer here on SB and has prices online. Regulators

Thanks I have never used a wrist mounted computer. I am open to any suggestions. I have been reseaching the Oceanic Pro plus 3 which is a console. I am not opposed to a wrist computer. Thank for the help

The Pro Plus is big, but easy to read and it comes with a decent compass.
At first new divers are fixated on that console because "life depends" on the information provided, but as you begin to dive more and more you usually only glance at it, so having it on your wrist or a retractor is usually more convenient. Although, if you have aging eyes maybe the larger display of a console is easier to read.

From the Oceanic line I find that the VT 4 is a nice mix between display size, usability and price. If you can find a VT3 or 4 used it's even better price-wise.
They had a free transmitter offer going on last summer, maybe they will do the same this year?

You might have better luck just searching some threads, maybe looking at a few regulators, then asking about those rather than simply posing the question "what regulator should i buy?" Most people will just recommend what they use. Bottom line is that almost all regulators made and sold by the major manufacturers will work fine, there's surprisingly few bad choices. You didn't mention where you're located or what you want spend.

The one helpful bit of info I would offer is that I find wrist computers much more convenient than consoles, and most experienced divers would agree, I believe. You want to be able to see depth/time info frequently and easily. Once you get some experience, air pressure you only need to check a few times/dive, so an SPG on a hose clipped off is very convenient.

Or the new Mk21/S560 - too new to have been reviewed a lot yet.

The MK-21 is basically a MK-25 without the swivel turret. The S-560 is an S-600 with a plastic barrel. They should breath well.

What regulator you need depends on your diving. You will want an environmentally sealed first stage for cold water diving, which is not necessary for warm water. If you intend to fly with your regulator weight might be an issue, too. All regulators perform well if maintained correctly, so no need to go for a topline reg, you will likely not recognize teh difference in breathing.
You write you have an Air2 on your BCD. If you intend use it be sure the first stage delivers the correct intermediate pressure for it and you have the correct hose to connect it. (I personally do not like the Air2 and prefer a bungeed octopus)

Back
Top Bottom