New England Lobster Divahs and Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeders Joint Expedition 2003

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
It has finally happened...King Kong Matt and I have been kicking around the idea of doing a joint diving expedition next year and have decided to go for it...all we need now are some divers so we can charter the entire boat.

Destination: New York Wrecks - TBD
Charter: Seeker or Wahoo
Date: TBD, but tentatively Summer 2003
Dives: Deep, Cold, Overhead, Decompression
Cost: No idea...yet

This post is intended to get the discussion going as to who, where, and when, so please feel free to add to the discussion if you are interested in going.

I am most positively, definately in! I know heading down to Long Island was only about 4 or 4 1/2 hours from my house, so it's not that long of a trip.

Sweet idea guys!

I'm don't know that I'm quite ready for deep, cold, overhead, decompression dives...

At least not the overhead and decompression parts. Yet. :(

I'll let ya'll know when/if I get there! :D

Sounds like a blast. I gotta save my NY trip for the Doria as I doubt I can get 2 trips up there...

I just home from doing 2 dives on the Spiegel Grove with a bunch of the NELD folks. We had great fun, good dives, good company, cold beer, etc. I miss em already.

Tom

Tom can say he is our trimix instructor and we can do our checkouts on the Doria...oh, wait, someone got killed doing that didn't they...

SG, we may not go that aggressive either...depends on when next season and who the usual suspects that sign on for the trip are...

Spectre and I were talking about this offline, but what do you "further north - northeast types" think we need to do to get our guys squared away for the trip? What experience and certs should we be telling people are going to be prerequisites for the trip?

O-ring once bubbled...
What experience and certs should we be telling people are going to be prerequisites for the trip?

I actually thought of a really decent idea after I sent my last PM to you.

This winter, when the water starts getting really cold, and the blue water moves offshore... Find a boat that will cater to the freaks that want to go diving.

Look for 55-60 degrees on the wrecks that you guys already have experience on. Dive those in those crappy conditions [it might help to wait until just after a good storm, so the vis is down to 20 ft or so]. Dive the wrecks, work with your reels, and get used to the new england like conditions on wrecks you're already familiar with. Hell, do 'em at night if you can't find cruddy enough vis.

Definately know how to run a reel. definately know how to shoot a bag. definately know how to hang with horrid vis [my dives on the Stolt Dagali had vis around 40 at the ship, but there was a bloom in the first 30 ft, so hanging was done with 2 or 3 ft vis.

When you get to NY, _TAKE IT EASY_. Do your first dive well in sight of the anchor line. Then spawn off from there on your next dive. don't go running out with your line towards 'something cool', or you'll likely find yourself looking back into the gloom and getting yourself all worked up. My first NY dives were as deep as my average dives in North Carolina. I never noticed narcosis in NC, but in NY it hit me like a load of bricks...

We will see how it goes. One other thing...all you NELD guys will be DIR by then, right? :D

It would suck to make that drive and then have to option #1 you guys...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom