New Egypt E-Visa for US Citizens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This looks like official government, but I emailed consulate to confirm. Curious if they reply.

I do not know how this e-visa is a good deal. I just got a multiple entry Egypt visa through the Egyptian Consulate for $15. I dropped my application and passports at the Consulate because I was in the vicinity, but the paperwork can easily be mailed. It could not have been easier, more straightforward, the turnaround time was only 3 business days, and the consulate staff were extremely helpful.

If you are not near the consulate offices - and mail in the application, your photos, supporting documentation, and your passport, it's a bit of a leap of faith that you will ever get it back.

That's why most people use visa services that are located in consulate cities. Those services go in person to drop them off, and pick them up. They charge a HUGE mark-up though...the $15 visa goes up to $100-$150, for a very high level of assurance you'll see your passport again. Also everything they mail to and from is priority mail and tracked well.

So for countries that offer direct e-visa online, you skip the middle man (visa services).

Not all countries are equally problematic, or have a reputation for losing things. Some are great...some won't even return phone calls...so getting a passport you mailed to them, back via mail is challenging.

If you don't live in a consulate city, it's nice to just 'be done with it' for an extra $10 with an e-visa.

India and Brazil were chaotic, and I wouldn't send them my passport through the mail. Australia was an E-Visa and a breeze.

I often wonder how difficult the US Consulate is to work with for citizens of other countries trying to get US Visas.

-Ray

I might be wrong, but don’t you just buy an entry visa at a kiosk at the CAI airport before the customs counter and stick it in your passport yourself? That seems straight forward enough.

Are they eliminating the above method by switching to the e-visa? I fear getting a visa online might somehow not get recognized by the agent on the ground.

Hmmm, I just showed up in Cairo and bought my Visa in the airport? $25 and they just stuck the sticker in my passport and stamped it. I've actually had more trouble getting into the Bahamas. (I travel extensively for work so carry a substantial tool kit in a Pelican box)

I might be wrong, but don’t you just buy an entry visa at a kiosk at the CAI airport before the customs counter and stick it in your passport yourself? That seems straight forward enough.

Are they eliminating the above method by switching to the e-visa? I fear getting a visa online might somehow not get recognized by the agent on the ground.

I don't think they are eliminating the on-arrival services but the website linked above says this below. Please note the passport validity is for 8 months instead of the most-often requested 6 months. The cost for the e-visa is no more, no less than what it is on arrival. $25. It looks convenient if it's legitimate! I have been warned by others who have been there (Facebook dive groups) that there are also middle men who hold signs with your name on it in the arrival area where you get your visa and try to get you to do it through them and they charge you a bit more all while looking very official. They have somehow accessed manifests or passenger lists.

You also need exact change to get it from the official avenue on arrival.

------

Entry requirements (on arrival)

- Passport valid for at least eight months

- e-Visa printout

- Travel itinerary

- Supporting letter e.g. letter from company or invitation letter for business/family visits.

- Hotel bookings/details about places to visit if going as tourist.

An e-Visa is an official document permitting entry into and travel within Egypt.

The e-Visa is an alternative to visas issued at the ports of entry.

Applicants obtain their visas electronically after entering required information and making payments by a credit or debit card.

The link to download your e-Visa will be emailed to you. Passport control officers at ports of entry can verify your e-Visa on their system.

As in the case of other visas, respective Egyptian officials at the ports of entry reserve the right to deny entry into Egypt to a holder of an e-Visa without any explanation.

You are advised to create an e-Visa application at least 7 days before your departure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom